Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newsie

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 5:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
How do you like to keep up with the news? Are you a newspaper reader or do you like watching news on television? Our area doesn't print daily newspapers anymore. They only print newspaper on Tuesday and Thursdays and a Sunday edition. I like the Sunday paper and read it weekly. I watch the evening news more than the morning but find myself not watching it as often as I used to.
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 5:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

We have two different weekly papers in my community, so I use those to keep up with local news. I get the Sunday paper from a nearby community and I usually just keep up with other news on the internet. Just easier for me!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:00 AM

I'm at my computer working and volunteering in the Gmail Help Forum so I check Google News every morning and throughout the day.

My dad had been subscribing to the newspaper - Sunday (for the TV guide) and Wednesday for the grocery ads.  It was costing him $120 for 8 weeks.  That is insane.  He can buy the TV guide at the store for $4.99 for 2 weeks.  He was able to get the newspaper carrier to get him JUST the TV guide from the Sunday paper for $5 a month.  He cancelled his newspaper subscription.  The paper called him back and offered him a six-month subscription for $49 which is less expensive than buying the TV guide but still more expensive than getting the TV guide directly from the carrier.  But, dad couldn't resist. He said they would extend this rate the next 6 months, too.  Dad doesn't read the paper and only shops at one grocery store and they mail him their ads already.  smh.  

What is with parents these days?  They simply cannot seem to listen to reason and insist on doing things their own way!!

gumdrop53
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:31 AM

My dad is set in his ways too. Love him very much though but he is thick-skinned at times. I am glad that he is keeping active though-keeps him happy. Too me, happiness is what counts. I ain't no spring chicken  more. My husband jokes with me all the time. It is an oppurtunity for both us to laugh. It is unfortunate that the cost of certian things is ridiculious-especially informative news-not like the old days. I get the Sunday paper because it is a review of the weekly local and world news but a newspaper around here costs $3.25 weekly and $3.00 for Sunday, but get it delivered for $15.00 a month. That seems reasonable. I go on the internet for news daily also. 

Quoting suzeebloch:

I'm at my computer working and volunteering in the Gmail Help Forum so I check Google News every morning and throughout the day.

My dad had been subscribing to the newspaper - Sunday (for the TV guide) and Wednesday for the grocery ads.  It was costing him $120 for 8 weeks.  That is insane.  He can buy the TV guide at the store for $4.99 for 2 weeks.  He was able to get the newspaper carrier to get him JUST the TV guide from the Sunday paper for $5 a month.  He cancelled his newspaper subscription.  The paper called him back and offered him a six-month subscription for $49 which is less expensive than buying the TV guide but still more expensive than getting the TV guide directly from the carrier.  But, dad couldn't resist. He said they would extend this rate the next 6 months, too.  Dad doesn't read the paper and only shops at one grocery store and they mail him their ads already.  smh.  

What is with parents these days?  They simply cannot seem to listen to reason and insist on doing things their own way!!

annie-durham
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I am definately a newsie.  I used to get the Toronto Star every day, I loved doing the crossword in it.  When the cost went  up to almost $100 for 3 months I cancelled it and now only get the big one on Saturday.  I do get a local paper that is delivered twice a week and has all the store flyers in it. 

I also watch the news on TV.  Usually watch the noon news and always the 6pm news.  And if hubby is home CNN is on the TV all day. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to get the Raleigh paper before I moved and would do the crossword and cryptogram everyday but their prices got too high so I cancelled.  My aunt still gets it because of my uncle and she saves me the puzzles so I still do those.  lol  We also have a local paper here that comes out 3 times a week.  If I see one laying around I read it but don't subscribe.  I watch tv or look online most of the time. 

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Mostly from the local news in the morning but I watch more for the weather and traffic.

Online, I see stuff and my SO watches news almost all day so I hear stuff that way to. Its too crazy and repetitive so I can't pay too much attention or I would go crazy!
EireLass
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2018 at 9:24 AM

I get most of my news online. 

I will read the local newspaper at the library. We are being frugal with our money right now, but I don't mind paying and supporting a local newspaper when I can afford it.

Years ago I used to get a Sunday paper and use the coupons. What I would save would more than pay for the paper. We don't eat as much processed foods or use any of the coupon items anymore.

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 8, 2018 at 10:26 AM

I watch the local news at 6 and turn it off after the weather.  Other than that, I check it online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)