Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LETS TALK SLEEP UPDATED IN RED

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

As many of you have gathered from the daily post I don't sleep well.

I used to be a great sleeper unlike my two sisters who have struggled with insomnia most of their lives.

Since menopause I go for weeks at a time where I wake up constantly all night long, never going into a deep sleep or through all 5 sleep cycles.  Then it seems to improve for a while never great but OK.

My dr is very reluctant to give me sleeping pills, she doles them out like they are gold nuggets and is constantly warning me not to take more than once or twice a week.

I've tried magnesium which I heard helps you sleep, but I have IBS and it makes that much worse.  I need to take it at a high enough dose to make me sleep but that gives me diarrhea.  

Have any of you heard of Gaba its similiar to melatonin (which doens't work for me) it occurs in your body naturally to make you sleepy at night.  I have read mixed reviews about it some people say it works others say it doesn't.  

Any help would be appreciated, lack of sleep is not funny.

I went to the dr today about my sleep issues and to get some prescriptions renewed.  I had a list of some supplements including Relora, GABA and melatonin, she looked at my list and said other than Melatonin none of them have been proven to work.  She said they can't hurt so I could try them if I wanted to.  She said my estrogen is fluctuating so thats why my sleep issues are cyclical.  I told her I didnt' want to take something  every night just on an as needed basis.  She suggested trying the timed release Melatonin.  

by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:14 PM

I am not a good sleeper. 

I have tried so many things, and I'm sure I'll try so many more....with and without a doctors help.

Magnesium.....Melatonin.....Meditation.....Yoga.....Binaural Beats.....Indica Cannabis.....Alprazolam.....Sleeping in a separate room.....Essential Oil Diffusers.....I'm sure the list is longer than this, it's just what comes to mind right now.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:08 PM

I am not a good sleeper either. Well, I guess that depends on what you call "good!"

I often get by on about 4 hours of sleep - real sleep. I have never slept through the night that I can remember. I always wake up around 3ish and when the sun appears. Doctors so far have said if I have been that way most of my life not to worry about it. I do worry about when I am stressing about things and not sleeping well because I am getting even less sleep. Sometimes I will crash in the early hours for a bit. 

I HAVE to limit my caffeine later in the day.

I won't take meds but have done other things. I also have to watch what I drink/take to avoid interactions with my blood pressure/meds.

I will have to check that stuff out! 

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Some methods to fall asleep will work some times and other times not. It really varies. I can fall asleep faster when I am tired and can listen to some other noise - music, fan.

Exercise has never really helped in the sleep department. Good sex can though...sometimes.

Quoting EireLass:

I am not a good sleeper. 

I have tried so many things, and I'm sure I'll try so many more....with and without a doctors help.

Magnesium.....Melatonin.....Meditation.....Yoga.....Binaural Beats.....Indica Cannabis.....Alprazolam.....Sleeping in a separate room.....Essential Oil Diffusers.....I'm sure the list is longer than this, it's just what comes to mind right now.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:12 PM

GABA is a neurotransmitter that blocks impulses between nerve cells in the brain. Low levels of GABA may be linked to:

Researchers suspect that GABA may boost mood or have a calming, relaxing effect on the nervous system.

Why do people take GABA?

People take GABA as a supplement to try to:

They may also take GABA to try to:

• Relieve pain or discomfort from injuries
  • Increase tolerance to exercise
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Burn fat
  • Increase the growth of lean muscle mass

Limited studies have shown a possible link between GABA and lowered blood pressure. But research on GABA supplements is lacking. Researchers haven't confirmed whether or not it works for the many reasons people take it.

From Web MD

I guess I will have to wait until there is more research on what it could possibly interact with.

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey, thanks so much for posting this. I will definately be looking into GABA and what it's all about, etc. 

Quoting LEK19:

GABA is a neurotransmitter that blocks impulses between nerve cells in the brain. Low levels of GABA may be linked to:

Researchers suspect that GABA may boost mood or have a calming, relaxing effect on the nervous system.

Why do people take GABA?

People take GABA as a supplement to try to:

They may also take GABA to try to:

• Relieve pain or discomfort from injuries
  • Increase tolerance to exercise
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Burn fat
  • Increase the growth of lean muscle mass

Limited studies have shown a possible link between GABA and lowered blood pressure. But research on GABA supplements is lacking. Researchers haven't confirmed whether or not it works for the many reasons people take it.

From Web MD

I guess I will have to wait until there is more research on what it could possibly interact with.

annie-durham
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Thats pretty much what I read about Gaba.   I'm definately going to look for it at the health food store.  I checked the vitamin aisle in the grocery store today they didnt' have it.

I have  a dr appointment on tuesday for prescription renewal, I'll ask her about it too.

I guess because I used to be a good sleeper and now I'm not it really bothers me.  Both my sisters have got worse with menopause but since they never slept good anyway it doesn't seem to faze them.  One sister has a hard time falling asleep takes her over an hour but once she's asleep she doens't wake up again, unless she has to go to the bathroom, I rarely have trouble falling asleep my issue is staying asleep.  

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM

I tried to find more about it on the Mayo site but they didn't have much except in reference to medicine that somehow increases the brains production of GABA and is used in the treatment of seizures. 

Quoting annie-durham:

Thats pretty much what I read about Gaba.   I'm definately going to look for it at the health food store.  I checked the vitamin aisle in the grocery store today they didnt' have it.

I have  a dr appointment on tuesday for prescription renewal, I'll ask her about it too.

I guess because I used to be a good sleeper and now I'm not it really bothers me.  Both my sisters have got worse with menopause but since they never slept good anyway it doesn't seem to faze them.  One sister has a hard time falling asleep takes her over an hour but once she's asleep she doens't wake up again, unless she has to go to the bathroom, I rarely have trouble falling asleep my issue is staying asleep.  

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Some people have some success with sleep aid teas. Have you tried any of these? They have valerian (passionflower) or tilia which can interact with other meds or conditions.

Valerian is an herb. Medicine is made from the root.

Valerian is most commonly used for sleep disorders, especially the inability to sleep (insomnia). It is frequently combined with hops, lemon balm, or other herbs that also cause drowsiness. Some people who are trying to withdraw from the use of “sleeping pills” use valerian to help them sleep after they have tapered the dose of the sleeping pill. There is some scientific evidence that valerian works for sleep disorders, although not all studies are positive.

Valerian is also used for conditions connected to anxiety and psychological stress including nervous asthma, hysterical states, excitability, fear of illness (hypochondria), headachesmigraine, and stomach upset.

Some people use valerian for depression, mild tremors, epilepsy, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Valerian is used for muscle and joint pain. Some women use valerian for menstrual cramps and symptoms associated with menopause, including hot flashes and anxiety.

Sometimes, valerian is added to bath water to help with restlessness and sleep disorders.

In manufacturing, the extracts and oil made from valerian are used as flavoring in foods and beverages.

How does it work?

Valerian seems to act like a sedative on the brain and nervous system. From Web MD

Related image

Image result for sleep aid teas

Chamomile - should not be taken with a sedative medication or alcohol because it might interfere with blood clotting.
Tilia Flowers - extremely rare side effect is cardiac damage, you'll be more prone if you have a cardiac condition
Lemongrass - should not be ingested when you're pregnant, can trigger a reaction to allergic people
Blackberry Leaf - can cause vomiting to someone with a sensitive stomach

annie-durham
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a prescription drug called gaba-something I think that's the one for seizures
This is a hormonal supplement

Quoting LEK19:

I tried to find more about it on the Mayo site but they didn't have much except in reference to medicine that somehow increases the brains production of GABA and is used in the treatment of seizures. 

Quoting annie-durham:

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM
I just suggested a time-released melatonin in our other group and now you say it doesn’t work for you so… Perhaps more exercise? I know I sleep rather well and I am sure that all I do around the farm and the exercise on top of that is why. On the nights when my tinnitus is extra loud I have to have my earbuds in, playing music or listening to my Calm app which has stories, told by people with really calming voices. I’ve yet to make it to end of a story. It also has quiet music and sounds.

I don’t know about the staying asleep bit though but if you’re going to your doctor soon ask her and if she’s not more helpful than just writing you a prescription for a few sleeping pills then you’re going to have to speak up and ask for her help. Ask about having a sleep study or what your other options are. Having two doctors in the family means I’ve asked a lot of questions about how their offices run and medical questions and I know they have about 4.3 minutes per patient, especially in the afternoons so if you want some of their attention you have to be the one who asks the questions. Make a list of your questions and concerns before you go so you get them all answered.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)