Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LETS TALK SLEEP UPDATED IN RED

Posted by   + Show Post

As many of you have gathered from the daily post I don't sleep well.

I used to be a great sleeper unlike my two sisters who have struggled with insomnia most of their lives.

Since menopause I go for weeks at a time where I wake up constantly all night long, never going into a deep sleep or through all 5 sleep cycles.  Then it seems to improve for a while never great but OK.

My dr is very reluctant to give me sleeping pills, she doles them out like they are gold nuggets and is constantly warning me not to take more than once or twice a week.

I've tried magnesium which I heard helps you sleep, but I have IBS and it makes that much worse.  I need to take it at a high enough dose to make me sleep but that gives me diarrhea.  

Have any of you heard of Gaba its similiar to melatonin (which doens't work for me) it occurs in your body naturally to make you sleepy at night.  I have read mixed reviews about it some people say it works others say it doesn't.  

Any help would be appreciated, lack of sleep is not funny.

I went to the dr today about my sleep issues and to get some prescriptions renewed.  I had a list of some supplements including Relora, GABA and melatonin, she looked at my list and said other than Melatonin none of them have been proven to work.  She said they can't hurt so I could try them if I wanted to.  She said my estrogen is fluctuating so thats why my sleep issues are cyclical.  I told her I didnt' want to take something  every night just on an as needed basis.  She suggested trying the timed release Melatonin.  

by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM
Replies (51-58):
tapestryweaver
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 5:56 PM

annie-durham....do let us know what your doctor suggests when you go tomorrow. I was up again all night last night ( I slept from 5 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.)

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:57 PM

I will though I'm not expecting much.  She doesnt' seem to like the natural remedies and yet won't prescribe much for it either.  Like I said I only want something to take occasionally on as an needed basis. 

Quoting tapestryweaver:

annie-durham....do let us know what your doctor suggests when you go tomorrow. I was up again all night last night ( I slept from 5 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.)

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 13, 2018 at 5:50 PM

Thanks for the update!  I'm still hoping it works.  Keep us posted.  Fingers crossed that you will sleep well tonight.

Southernhon
by Member on Feb. 15, 2018 at 2:34 PM

I take one over the counter Unisom Sleep Tab each evening. It really helps me since I started suffering from insomnia when I started menopause. Most of the natural remedies contained Melatonin, which gives me a killer headache the next day. 

DONNAOPULENTO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 2:53 PM

I go to youtube and listen to Alexander Scourby read from the KJV of the book of Psalm.  This soothes my soul and calms my spirit. 

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM

Unisom contains Doxylamine, which makes my heart race.  Its not for people with high blood pressure.  

Quoting Southernhon:

I take one over the counter Unisom Sleep Tab each evening. It really helps me since I started suffering from insomnia when I started menopause. Most of the natural remedies contained Melatonin, which gives me a killer headache the next day. 

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2018 at 1:12 PM
Thanks for the update :) keep us posted on how it works!

I just looked up Relora and it appears herbal too, can buy here otc, not in my drug books. I hope it works! Looks interesting :)
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM
I think you need to consult another doctor. There is no reason she can't give a stronger sleeping pill to take as needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)