Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question *edited

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM
  • 64 Replies

One of the local schools here was on lockdown this morning because someone made a shooting threat on social media.  I don't like guns and don't want one in my house.  People are talking about arming the teachers.  Ohio has a concealed carry law that says that college students can carry a concealed weapon on campus.  I work at a college.  I don't like the idea that the people around me are carrying guns except for the campus police.  How do you feel about the idea of carrying concealed weapons in schools?  Do you think it is a good idea to arm the teachers?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so even if their opinion is different from yours, no bashing please.

2/28 - Apparently police responded to shots fired in a Georgia High School.  They have arrested a teacher.  Will this be the result of teachers carrying guns?

by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debra-ruth
by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this

schools has changed so much since my kids was in school. My kids went to a small town school and it was different from a city school. I really don't know if teachers should have guns in the classes but at the same time the teachers ought to protect the kids. 

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 1:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I think with proper training it would be a good idea for the teachers to be able to protect themselves and the students. But it would be after a psych eval,background check and training with using the gun.

And I absolutely do not agree with allowing students to be armed no matter their age. Its just to many guns. 

I respect guns an their rightful place and grew up with hunting guns on display in our home. But they were for hunting and we knew not to touch them. And my dad always made sure they were unloaded and the ammuniton was locked up.

I see no reason for anyone to have access to artillary guns that are made for killing, unless you're a soldier at war or a policeman and are in a situation that type of gun may be needed. I know any gun can kill, but one that shoots hundreds of bullets at a time is not needed by anyone in private use.

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I think they should secure the buildings better, and have armed guards at every entrance. No teachers/students with guns. Let them focus on learning, and let the security focus on security.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 22, 2018 at 5:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I have been around guns all of my life.  My dad had them and my grandparent's did too.  BUT...my dad was responsible with them and taught me gun safety.  I never messed with his guns.  Guns don't scare me.  I have a gun here and intend to keep it here.  I am a fan of conceal carry permits because it's another check on a person too.  As far as in schools...I'm honestly not sure how I would feel about that yet.  I feel safer for sure if someone has a conceal carry and I'm in their midst. (especially these days) 

As for guns in general, I feel there needs to be more extensive backgroud checks. I don't think anyone should be able to just go buy one without being examined.  I had to have a back ground check for my gun permit.  I believe the background check is more extensive for conceal carry.  The bad news is this....you will never keep the guns from the bad guys.  Sad but true I believe. 

Ziva65
by Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 3:35 AM
5 moms liked this
We have guns, and are members of the nra. We haven’t always been though. We used to live in a small town, I called 911 when someone tried to break in our home and my husband was gone. The response was that “the sheriff was on the other end of the county and to get out your gun”. ??? I called my neighbor who came out fully loaded.

Now, we have quite a collection, secured. I know how to shoot, so do my kids. For us it’s not a sport it’s protection. We’re now in a suburban city, but we’ve had some major disasters and we’re on our own for protection in those times.

If the teachers are willing, by all means arm them. I’m not sure that’s ideal, but certainly adding more armed guards on campus is, as well as more secured parameters. Bad guys can still get guns regardless of the gun laws.

It’s a big selling point of private schools. Both my kids’ colleges have armed guards st all entrances, I can’t say the same for the public universities. I’ll take the armed guards any day.
darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 5:52 AM
4 moms liked this

This is a great topic for discussion, and has been discussed at our house. Hubby says when he was in school, kids had their rifles in their pick-up trucks so that they could head out and hunt as soon as school was over for the day, and that is where the guns stayed. I grew up in a hunting family and we always had guns in our house, and we were taught to respect them and only to use them for a certain purpose. Our world has changed so much, kids see so much more on television, video games and social media.  I feel that better background checks, listening to our kids, and better security in our schools is very important. DD is a substitiute teacher and I do worry about her. As for teachers being armed, there will need to be training and lots of it!

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:13 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it has come to the point of using better security when entering a school. Maybe the focus has to be on having the same security that they have at airports. Are our children worth that much? Hell yes!

School staff need to be more aware of and listen to their students.

Anyone who has a gun in their house should be more aware of where each gun is at any moment and who is able to use them and what their mental state is otherwise don't have a gun. Gun ownership carries a huge responsiblity with that privilege which, in my opinion is a privilege not a right. My two cents!

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:34 AM
5 moms liked this

I am Canadian and feel I can't really participate in this discussion.  My mindset on guns is just so different than any other person here.  

Anyone can own a hunting rifle here, after taking a course and getting a license, my youngest son has one.  But  that is all.  We do not feel the need for "protection" that you all seem to feel.  We don't have mass school shootings, we can send our children off to school and not worry about someone coming in with a weapon of war and mowing down as many children as he can.  If I nab a parking spot at Walmart ahead of another car or accidently cut someone off in traffic I never have to worry they'll pull out a gun and shoot me.  

The rest of the civilized world does not live as you do.  In Europe, in Britian, In Australia, in Canada the average citizen does not own a firearm.  Of course we have crime, I live in a city of 2.8 million people, Toronto is the size of Chicago but we had only 61 murders in all of last year, while Chicago had 650.  We also have mental health issues here too but with free health care a lot of those issues are addressed.  

I was so sure that after the SAndy Hook shooting when all those babies were gunned down the gun laws would change............and nothing happened.  I'm hoping that all these teens marching and protesting can make some changes but considering who is now your president I have my doubts.  

SkippyDo
by Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:43 AM
4 moms liked this

No offense meant to you at all, but I lived in Germany and everyone had a gun.  Literally everyone. They just didn't talk about it. And it wasn't kept for hunting.  Most were handguns. 

Quoting annie-durham:

I am Canadian and feel I can't really participate in this discussion.  My mindset on guns is just so different than any other person here.  

Anyone can own a hunting rifle here, after taking a course and getting a license, my youngest son has one.  But  that is all.  We do not feel the need for "protection" that you all seem to feel.  We don't have mass school shootings, we can send our children off to school and not worry about someone coming in with a weapon of war and mowing down as many children as he can.  If I nab a parking spot at Walmart ahead of another car or accidently cut someone off in traffic I never have to worry they'll pull out a gun and shoot me.  

The rest of the civilized world does not live as you do.  In Europe, in Britian, In Australia, in Canada the average citizen does not own a firearm.  Of course we have crime, I live in a city of 2.8 million people, Toronto is the size of Chicago but we had only 61 murders in all of last year, while Chicago had 650.  We also have mental health issues here too but with free health care a lot of those issues are addressed.  

I was so sure that after the SAndy Hook shooting when all those babies were gunned down the gun laws would change............and nothing happened.  I'm hoping that all these teens marching and protesting can make some changes but considering who is now your president I have my doubts.  

SkippyDo
by Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:52 AM
3 moms liked this

We have an armed guard in my sons school.  (Private)  I also suspect that the coach carrys as he's a police officer as well.  We have a home/school meeting next week and the parents plan to propose getting a metal detector and those wands at the entrance.  There are currently two entrances but we'll cut that down to one.  We also want to hire a second armed guard and would to encourage and teachers who want to get their concealed carry (those that don't have it already) to do so.  The school will pay for that too. (at least thats our plan)

As for concealed carry on college campuses, I think it would be fine as long as it's military.  (Like the ROTC guys). I'm not sure how I feel about civilians carrying. I have my concealed carry but do not carry for several reasons.  My husband does though but would probably hand over his weapon to me if something really happened.  I'm better trained and more skilled than he is. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)