Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why is it...

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

that when your all congested you loose your taste...: (   toddler tantrumi want to taste !!!!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doodlepuss
by Sheri on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I'm not sure how but there is a connection between smell and taste.  I know we covered this in an anatomy class but that was long ago.

I hope you can taste again soon!!  I know it sucks.

deesam
by Twins on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM

tell me about it, but the real reason is we smell our food before we taste it and that activates the taste buds.

suzi960
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM

dang...drives me crazy....lol....

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I know the feeling!!!

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I hear ya my sista!!  I just tell everyone it tastes like chicken no matter what goes in my mouth when that happens.  lol

Esmrlda
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM

That sucks!

smokeybear
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Hope it clears up so you can taste all the Holiday goodies!!!

ANSWER: Because the sensation of taste is closely tied to your sense of smell. The combination of your taste buds and the smell of food is what makes your brain recognize a taste. When you have a cold, your nose gets clogged and you can't smell as well as you normally can, so in your head, foods don't taste the same because you're not getting the normal amount of "taste information" from your nose"

This is also why people hold their nose when eating something they don't like and why inhaling when you're eating spicy food makes them seem spicier.

Read more:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_you_lose_your_sense_of_taste_when_you_have_a_cold#ixzz17drr1yUw

suzi960
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

thanx bear for the info......stink!!!!!!!lol

bjfreeman1
by Miller Time,R.I.P. on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Dang, Brooklyn.  You still sick??

kaylasmamaw
by Fairy Dogmother on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM

My dh cannot smell-at all. But he can taste things just fine. He can distinguish different tastes. It's weird. I've had a cold for 11 days now, it's finally going away. Hope you feel better suzi

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)