Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need a candy cooking mama!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

I transplanted to Michigan from Texas, and every Christmas back home, I could get Divinity.  I can't find it here, atleast not what I know as Divinity.  The stuff up here is really small, and has a pecan in the middle....I don't eat pecans, and when I was down south, I found some that they make without the big peices of pecans....does anybody know how to make it, or where I can find it????  Thank you! 

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Esmrlda
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hmmm not sure, you could check online.  Divinity was my maternal grand fathers favorite and I only met one person names Divinity. 

the_kids_mom
by Gypsy Queen on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

any idea where to look online? 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans or candied cherries for holidays

Preparation:

Be sure to make divinity on a dry day; candy will not harden on a humid day. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, heat sugar, salt, syrup and water to boiling, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking over medium low heat, not stirring, until the temperature reaches 266°. When the temperature reaches 260° beat the egg whites with electric mixer at high speed, until stiff peaks form. While beating, pour the hot syrup slowly into the egg whites. Beat for about 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture isn't glossy. Add vanilla and turn to low speed. Continue beating until the mixture holds its shape when dropped from a spoon. It will probably be too thick for the mixer at this point. Stir in pecans or chopped candied cherries with a wooden spoon. With a lightly buttered teaspoon, drop onto waxed paper. Work as quickly as possible. If mixture gets too thick to work with, add a few drops of water. Let stand until dry. Store in tightly covered containers. More Fudge Recipes
Brown Sugar Fudge Recipe
the_kids_mom
by Gypsy Queen on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM

thank you, dana!  if only i could get my printer to cooperate with me....i can't get the darn thing to print....i can't wait to try out the recipe, YUM!!!!! 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Hey I am from TX!! Enjoy~~

rabbitbunny50
by Gold sister on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM

My Mama made divinity every year for Daddy. It is his favorite candy.  If the weather was damp it would not set up and we would eat it with a spoon! Wonderful memories!

the_kids_mom
by Gypsy Queen on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:30 PM
My mom used to make it, and I LOVED it! Unfortunately, it died in 78 with her:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:10 AM

What about buying a Paula Deene cookbook? She's from the south and an excellent cook!

KittyGram
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Quoting the_kids_mom:

thank you, dana!  if only i could get my printer to cooperate with me....i can't get the darn thing to print....i can't wait to try out the recipe, YUM!!!!! 

The thing about divinity, though, is (according to my mom), if the humidity is too high, then the divinity won't set.  In my very young adult days I made it a few times.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  I lived in Wisconsin at the time, so not too far from you.

Here's wishing you the best when making it!!!    

pat36037
by Sister on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I am going to try to make some my self... for more great christmas sweets and other thing fun for christmas check out northpole.com.  They have some great stuff on there... Merry Christmas ladies.. Thanks for the recipe Dana!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)