Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heart smart isn't just for adults

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 7363 Total Views

Did you know that a child that has a family history of heart disease could have heart problems at a young age? They have reported heart attacks in children as well as adults.

Go heart smart for you and your children and go heart healthy by changing your diet and getting out and doing something together as a family. 15-30 minutes a day is enough to get the heart pumping. My family and I are somewhat active but we plan on being more active on the gulf course, Frisbee golf that is. Walking your fur-babies and just getting outdoors when possible is one step forward to fighting this battle.

Join us in fighting heart disease..

Make your dreams come true just by following them!!  ~~ I do have fibromyalgia and RA But it will NEVER have me!" ~~ Come have some fun with the ladies in 40ish and beyond, www.cafemom.com/group/7446 ( tell the girls momma sent ya!!) }!{

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzi960
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM

very interesting, in todays world, these kids want to sit home and play video games!!! not all kids, but a good majority of them..i agree get them out there..unfortunetly when its freezing outside, cant go out too much but once spring is here, my kids play in the schoolyard after school for about an hour or 2..basketball, football..whatever it is....they need that... 

IndigoRose
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Yes...

Jog with the dog !...

Walking behind our dog Bosco isn't just walking !  It's---pant, pant !!!,---try to keep from being dragged along the ground !...

HA !!!...

suzi960
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:47 AM

lol i can picture that suz...lol..

Quoting IndigoRose:

Yes...

Jog with the dog !...

Walking behind our dog Bosco isn't just walking !  It's---pant, pant !!!,---try to keep from being dragged along the ground !...

HA !!!...

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM

We have the game system but the games we have is games you have to get up and work out while playing them. Nice for those bad weather days because they still move if they are up moving.

I saw 4 kids yesterday playing tag at the apts where Meg lives. They had cars as base and they were running from place to place chasing the other. It was nice just watching them play tag.

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I totally agree.  There is heart failure on my husband's side of the family and that is why I stress over the boys eating habit.  I even talked to their pediatrician and he said if the only veggies you can get into them is carrots and salad then go for it!!  They will eat some fruits, apples and oranges and bananas.  They love strawberries and they will eat watermelon sometimes but not too often.  I try to give them whole grain breads but they don't like the nutty flavor.  So I opt for whole grain white.  I use EVOO to cook and do not use butter or veg oils because they are not good for you.  I try to teach them healthy eating habits and if I continue my efforts they'll eventually hop on board!

Exercise isn't an issue for them, the get plenty of it!!  Even though they are in the house, they are CONSTANTLY on the go around here!!

Thanks for sharing this most important information!!  If we impact their eating habits and activity levels while they are youmng, they will enjoy a LONG healthy life!!!

sonogal
by Gold sister on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM

GREAT post!  It's great if you can get the whole family involved...it's good for all of you!  Wii Mario & Sonic at the Olympics is super fun and really gets your heart rate up!

momsjoy
by Bronze sister on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Thanks, great post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltycoqui
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Frisbee golf is fun! I found a mini set recently and I'm looking forward to nicer weather so we can use it. I like to at least get out and go for a walk even if I have to use my cane to help me. I see how logical it is to think that kids bodies can be just as delicate as an older person's. Unfortunately I have Many relatives who raised me who do not think this way. They are the type that think it's ok for the kids to eat junk everday or look at me funny when I offer my kids an apple instead of something deep fried. My kids and I like video games too. We also like being online. I got us the Wii system and we have at least one or two family game night a week.
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Did you all know that we think because we are always going that that is enough and truth be known it is not. I talked to a Dr who said that we think walking around the house is enough and it isn't, you have to make sure you get the heart pumping and the body sweating. BUT I cvan't stress enough to HYDRATE! even the little ones need to hydrate when they go outdoors or even playing a Wii game that they get the heart rate up and the sweat flowing. Also soda and juice won't do it, after all when they sweat it isn't Dr Pepper.

laur1963
by Sister on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Thanks for the great post, you are so right. My 12 yr old has heart issues just had open heart surgery in december...doing well. great post...AGAIN!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)