Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my poor little girl..

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 566 Total Views

got a call from the school nurse to come get my little one at school.  She was in the beginning of a migraine (was blurry in one eye/dizzy) I thought "oh no" and asked if she'd thrown up yet (another symptom she always gets soon after the others).

"no, not yet" was the answer so I hustled my tush up there and got her home.  And, yep soon after I gave her some meds she threw up everything she'd had today, I am hoping some of the meds got in her system but am waiting to give her anymore just in case she gets ill again.

She hasn't had one in a good bit but her monthly visit is due anytime now and I'm told that in itself can cause them...hormones in flux... so here I sit fretting that she's hurting and I can't do anything for her now but wait. 

Dh used to get them terrible but has been lucky to not have had one also in a few years.  He's asleep now bless his heart as he was up all night working.

Anyone else have someone with migraines?  What seems to make them better?

right now dd is trying to sleep in her dark quiet room w/a washcloth on her forehead..

rock n roll

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Budlady
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM
My Dh swears by an ice pack he says it helps alot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andreamarie
by Sister on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
I had them since childhood. Dark and quiet always helped. Blood pressure caused most of mine. Have u had her checked for that or allergies ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Quoting Budlady:

My Dh swears by an ice pack he says it helps alot

ty I have one always in the freezer..I'll see if she wants it ..THANKS

Ferne
by Silver sister on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM

My hubby used to get them frequently.  He would be home from work 2 or 3 days at a time. When we read that a couple of cups of coffee in the morning would help prevent them ( he had never liked coffee) He decided to try it.  It has worked great for him, Now he only gets a migraine once or twice a year ( usually in the hottest part of summer) instead of a couple times a month.

NettePooh
by Bronze sister on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM
So sorry..does she usually throw up? My friend gets migraines alot..have you thought about anything that she has been eating? I know certain foods can bring migraines on.. I hope your daughter feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kam013
by Bronze sister on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I get them occasionally and I use one of those heat wraps that you can warm up in the microwave.  They seem to make a world of difference for me.  I know they carry them at stores like Bed Bath & Beyond, but you can probably find them at Walmart too.  If she is sensitive to smells during the migraine try make sure you find an unscented one.  I have one that smells like eucalyptus and that doesn't bother me. 

suzi960
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

my hubby has suffered his whole life with migraines star.. he uses imitrex... he gets the same warning signs.  blurry vision, nausea, ..they have gotten better as he gets older.. when we first met he used to get cluster migraines,and was out for a week in a dark room.... thank god there not like that anymore.. when he does get them i try to keep the boys quiet,(aint easy)..lol.....

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM

We have talked to her doctor about it and he said it can be hereditary.  Dh has got them since he was 15, one time he actually had to be admitted to the hospital but so far dd's are just mild... dh feels so bad for her it tears at my heart.

Triggers for her used to be only stress. 

She used to have at least 2 allergy attacks a year start of spring/start of fall but the last few years have been less and less and they never triggered one either.

Yes, every time she has one she first gets blurry vision, slurs her speech and throws up.  And, sometimes her arm gets a bit numb(but not always) and she feels like her tongue swells (it doesn't just feels this way).

Normally just a excedrine migraine and sleep will cure it up in a few hours.  doctor said this was ok and actually was happier than using any other medication.

She is about to start her period so now they say hormones can trigger them too...sigh

When she was in 5th grade I think it was she went to the nurse with the eye/arm/speech problem and the nurse called me in a PANIC...she wasn't sure what was wrong-kinda po'd me as I'd written these exact symptoms on her clinic card...soooo GLAD this nurse paid attention to the card and called me asap to come get her today...yea!

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Quoting suzi960:

my hubby has suffered his whole life with migraines star.. he uses imitrex... he gets the same warning signs.  blurry vision, nausea, ..they have gotten better as he gets older.. when we first met he used to get cluster migraines,and was out for a week in a dark room.... thank god there not like that anymore.. when he does get them i try to keep the boys quiet,(aint easy)..lol.....

yep my dh takes that also but TG he's not had to in a few years.  (since his ex is outta his life permanently now lol).

KristinaMari876
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

ice pack helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)