Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

as of June 30

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 301 Total Views

I will be laid off of my job. I have never been laid off before...any suggestions?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firemouse23
by Platinum sister on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM

If you have a date already...you may be able to put in for unemployment now...it won't kick in until the lay off happens but at least you won't have to wait weeks for it...shouldn't have too anyway...otherwise, start working on your resume and fine tuning it and get it out there early...you never know your glory career may be just around the corner.

SharonLMMW
by Sister on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I've been unemployed since March 18, 2010. Good luck to you.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Quoting firemouse23:

If you have a date already...you may be able to put in for unemployment now...it won't kick in until the lay off happens but at least you won't have to wait weeks for it...shouldn't have too anyway...otherwise, start working on your resume and fine tuning it and get it out there early...you never know your glory career may be just around the corner.

agree

roxxyt
by Roxane on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

BUMP!

suzi960
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM

sorry momma, I agree with mouse though....good luck to you.

Elevenhounds
by Sister on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Unemployment.

And don't forget if you had benefits you should be able to get COBRA but realize it can be nearly 2x as high as what you are paying now.  Mine doubled and I couldn't keep anything except the vision.  Also had to get the kids on Medicaid in order to ensure they had health insurance.  The bonus with Cobra is that you will keep the same insurance without having to have a health exam.

If you can't/won't do medicaid you may want to look into individual health care.  Go to a reputable agency/brokerage where the broker will work for YOU and not for the insurance company to find you the best insurance for the best price.  It will still be expensive and if you or your spouse smoke it will raise the rates.

FlyHippie
by Bronze sister on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM

WHAT!? I am so sorry!!!!! I got nuthin' but a hug for ya....Sorry about that....

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I agree with Mouse as well and also look in your area for a job that could have openings. Since you have a date you can get several things done, resume ready and even passed out and apply for unemployment. Keep us posted. Hugs~~

sonogal
by Gold sister on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM
I'm sorry.....good advice above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatiesMom63
by Cello Chick on Apr. 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I'm so sorry.  I hope you can find something else soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)