Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What a morning!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 177 Total Views

I came home from work and went to investigate my dogs who were barking like crazy.  They had two kittens cornored in our shop.  One kitten looked pretty chewed up.  I got the dogs out.  Got my hubby to help and we caught the mangled one.  No outside damage we could see but we dont know if the insides are ok. He isnt meowing or acting like he is in any pain but  He isnt very active, all though he can hiss and swipe. Then we chased the second kitten all over the shop for 20 minutes.   ITs a beautiful kitten but so wild.  Not only did it hiss and swipe at us but it jumped at us also.  We'v got them in seperate cages and hope to tame them and find homes.  They look about 8 or 9 weeks old.  So, does anyone have experience with taming feral kittens?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sonogal
by Gold sister on May. 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM
Not a clue but here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
25beengoodtome
by Crazy LiL' Sister on May. 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I was gifted a feral kitten 1 and 1/2 year ago. We tamed her by placing her in a small basket-cage. Then gave her 24 hour care and attention. She quickly learned that we were good, since we gave the food & water she wanted. And took her out to walk and play every hour or so. She is now the proud mother of the 4 kittens we are trying to find homes for.~ all girls! 

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on May. 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

IDK

firelites
by Anne on May. 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

since they are litter mates and too young to breed try to get a large enough cage to keep them together , one will help the other heal, kitty box on one end, blanket, water and food on the other, lots of patience and love and name them, so they know who they are, you want to get them their shots and a dose of strongid for worms , if the vet is not an option at this time, check with Southern Ag,Pet Co or a similar store or your local SPCA or a Pet Vet Tech for dosage and shots

best J. Anne

doodlepuss
by Sheri on May. 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Love and patience and lots of it.  Wet kitty food goes a long way to earning trust. :)

firemouse23
by Platinum sister on May. 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

keep them in the cages for at least a couple days...once they are used to seeing you around and knowing you aren't going to eat them you can use a stick to pet them with...after a couple tries with the stick you may be able to use your hand to pet them...shouldn't take more than about a week to get them used to you...once that happens...you can take them out and hold them some.  At that young of an age...they are much easier to get out of that fear stage...I have had my wild kitten for almost a year now and he is the most loveable gentle cat now.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM
I don't have experience but the advice the others said sounds about right. The hub brought home two kittens last year from tha barn but the acted like they were tamed. Good luck!!
smokeybear
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Quoting sonogal:

Not a clue but here's a bump!

here's another bump!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)