Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ladies ever had an experience like this. Second update.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM
  • 26 Replies
  • 1021 Total Views

I haven't had very good luck with my health over the past several years. I vomited on a daily basis for seven years before doctors finally figured out that it was gluten making me sick. I had a long list of other symptoms too. I went gluten free and felt much better. Most of the symptoms disappeared. A few weeks ago, I started having spells where I felt as though I was going to pass out. My vision would blur, everyone would sound like they were talking through a tunnel. I thought that maybe it was that I was getting hidden gluten somewhere.

Anyway, over the past week, it has happened three times but now when it happens, the right half of my face gets tingly and a little numb.  It only lasts for a short time, and then goes away. My right arm has been hurting and occasionally, my right leg gets heavy. My right hand is weak. I have also had sharp pains on the inside of my shoulder blade, next to my spine.

Some of these symptoms are like when I had a ruptured disc in my neck. I had a discectomy and have a plate in my neck now. I am wondering if maybe it is another disc that is pinching something.

Any feelings on this or experiences? Mini strokes keep coming up when I look up symptoms. That scares the hell out of me. :0(

I saw the doctor yesterday. My blood pressure was good, ekg was good. I am going later this month for an ultrasound of the arteries in my neck, my heart, and a holtor monitor. I am doubtful that this has anything to do with my heart. I was hoping that he would do an MRI of my neck. My arm is so weak, I could barely write a check. Pretty difficult to make jewelry with no grasp. Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences.

I had an ultrasound of my neck, the arteries, my heart, and wore a holter monitor for a day. I am assuming they were all good. I never heard any different. I have another appointment Monday morning. I had someone point out some information that I was not aware of.  Gluten makes me very ill so I stay on a gluten free diet. However, I am a little lax about cross contamination.  I was told to research gluten intolerance and it causing seizures. Sure enough, I found people having similiar episodes that turned out to be seizures connected to gluten intolerance. I am going to mention it to the doctor.  I had a bad day today. I felt gross all day, my head hurt, my face went numb, and I had to use my left hand to lift my right hand to get the key in the door. All but the headache lasted just a short time.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I am not sure what it could be but you said you have an appt. Keep us posted and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

by Christine on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:26 AM

You & my husband sound similar. He just had lower back surgery, a discectomy & has other issues in the neck that still need to be addressed. He has been having TIA's (mini strokes), for over a year. He also has blood pressure issues and COPD. You could very likely have some nerve being pinched. When he started with the neck issue (bulging discs), he lost strength in his hand. He's now complaining of pain radiating from his neck, across his shoulder and into his chest. The lower back problems caused him to lose strength in his legs, where he was collapsing. He would stand up and get dizzy. Last year he fell and cracked four ribs. I am glad you have a doctor's appointment. This is all probably fixable, but anything to do with nerves and discs isn't an easy fix as you know. Sorry if this is confusing, I'm still waking up.

by Platinum sister on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Don't mean to scare you but TIA's was the first thing that came to mind when you described your symptoms of partial paralysis and tingling going on in your face...the lower parts...arm, shoulder, and such could be your neck but everything sure doesn't add up to just that.  I really hope it isn't anything's a hug for you and you will be in my prayers that it's something simple.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM

That happens to me sometimes when I get glutened..are you sure you have not somehow had some sneak into your diet???? It took me nearly two weeks ot right my system after the last even at Easter,

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Thanks ladies. I was thinking that it could be a combination of a disc and getting hidden gluten somewhere. I am hoping it is something simple.

by Miller Time,R.I.P. on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I used to get electrical type shocks to one side of my face and pass out regularly during menopause.  Not sure with you.  Good luck at the doc!!

by Princess Nana on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Good luck.. I hope it is something simple and can be taken care quickly!!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I really hope it is something as simple as getting gluten in your diet. But it really sounds like TIA's (mini-strokes) My mom has been having them for years and you described all of the symptoms she gets with hers.

by member of the month on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

next time it's happening, please go to the emergency room. They can't tell what's going on, in most cases, unless they catch it in action. You could be having seizures, you could be having a stroke, you could be experiencing a tumor on your spine, in your head, etc... 

Prayers that it's something relatively easy to fix. But please go to the ER while it's happening. 

by CakeChic on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I hope they figure out what's going on sista!!  Best wishes and keep us posted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)