Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graduation...what a group.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 222 Total Views

My younger son, Kevin, graduated from a moderately sized TX high school last night. The school has about 2000 kids. There were 482 in his graduating class. This is, in my opinion, a very impressive class. I doubt that there are many high schools of this size that can say that EVERY graduate (minue the life skills kids) has been accepted to college

The class has accepted over $11 million in scholarships. It is hard to keep an accurate tab because some of us (raises hand slowly) have not submitted all scholarship info to the counseling office. Not all of the kids will go directly to college. There are several who are going into the military....maybe 15 and one has an appointment to West Point.  They were given a very heart warming standing ovation. This class from a city in TX is sending kids to Harvard, Duke, NYU, Wyoming, California, Floriday, TN, OK, AR, and the list goes on and on.

This was our first class that has had to deal with the recent court rulings on invocations...Please understand that this school is in the heart of Baylor University land. Our ceremony was held at BU. The kids found their ways to invoke God's name in more ways than I have ever heard at a graduation.....without an invocation or closing prayer.

A large number of the graduates attended after graduation. My son was initially going to leave at 1:30 a.m., but decided to stay until the close at 3 a.m. Since he only graduates once, I waited for him. We live 30 miles from school and I was not going to go home and then turn around and go back to get him. He does not drive yet because I have not been able to afford driver's ed or the added insurance.

He starts college classes Monday. He might be awake by then. lol

Have the graduation ceremonies you attended announce the list of scholarships the graduate accepted? I think it is a nice touch. Some of the local scholarship winners are not announced until graduation.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Congrats and yes that is one impressive class!!

bjfreeman1
by Miller Time,R.I.P. on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Awesome!!!

suzi960
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM

CONGRATS TO YOUR SON!!!!!graduate

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Congrats to your son!!  Awesome job Class of 2011.  My boys are graduating from Kindergarten on June 15th.

firemouse23
by Platinum sister on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Here in the district that my kids attended they have a seperate event for announcing the scholarship awards.  That way the actual graduation ceremony isn't overly long.  We did Senior Breakfast with the seniors and whomever they wanted to invite to that...tickets had to be bought of course.  Right after that they have the awards ceremony announcing scholarships and such.  That is always friday before Graduation ceremony. Friday night is also the Baccalaureate ceremony.  The Graduation Ceremony itself is always Sunday afternoon outside in the Football Stadium.  I have never heard of a class that large getting so many kids to move forward in education.  It is impressive indeed.

tomatoqueen
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM

This is my 8th year to have a child in this high school and the lowest rate of post high school education was 96 percent. The school has very high standards. The school has received national awards such as being named a Grammy school (only 52 are selected nation wide). This year, they were selected as a national high performance school. There are various awards ceremonies before graduation. The principal made a few statements about the accomplishments of the class such as 35 academic all state atheletes (very high number in TX). He had all of the kids who have been accepted to college stand.....that was done to make a point. He had all of the kids going to the military directly stand as well as the kids who have reached state competition (very hard to do in TX). We have programs that have won national awards such as the Word Masters program. Our school had 4 teams in the top 10 including the national champtions. They competed against over 500 schools of all sizes. The awards continue all the way to the elementary level. Our NewsBowl (current events) teams won state. Our high school cheer leders won state and placed 2nd at nationals. Our choir program has a LONG history of being the best in the state for schools our size and when my older was in choir, won a major multi state invitational in the open class. Our girls sports programs are out of this world. As a matter of fact, 2 members of the graduating class were late to the ceremony because they were in the state tournament. Much to their dismay, they placed 3rd. They were the defending state champions. With only 2 seniors on the team, they will be a team to watch next year. The principal stopped his speech when the girls arrived. They were in their softball uniforms with their freshly earned state medals around their necks. The girls volleyball team is also defending state champs, the girls golf is 8th in the state, etc. The boys teams are great with the exception of golf. I am proud to say that one of my sons earned a 1st at state in voice and performed at the state convention. Both have been in region winning bands.

I don't know what makes the district so impressive given the size. The standards are high and we have phenomenal parent involvement at every level. As a matter of fact, in band, we had so many parents volunteer to help that you basically go into a lottery system to get to help. I was a volunteer for 8 yrs. I went on trips, helped at contests and football games, and made the color guards uniforms. I will never do that again.

I don't know why they announce the scholarships at graduation. I think it might be because if they had a separate ceremony for that, only the parents of kids getting scholarships would attend. Announcing them at graduation shows that there is money out there if you apply and it really honors the kids who have put in so much work. There is one scholarship program where the family income has to be below 50K in order to qualify (yep, my sons qualified) and I was very impressed to see that so many of the school leaders were recipients. We do have a lot of kids from money (not rich, although there are some of those, but who are upper income), but I was so impressed to hear the names of kids who won this scholarship and to see that those kids have been school leaders. On the other hand, I was shocked that some of the top kids academically did not have scholarships announced....wonder why.

The kids who spoke were eloquent and had more than the traditional messages. One girl gave a beautiful speech on how each kid deserved to hear their name announced and their family deserved that moment. It was really a plea to the audience to be respectful of all of the grads. The senior class president talked about what she feared when she came to this country from China as a 4th grader who did not speak any English. In addition to being class president, she was in the top 10 of the class. The class had a surprising number of triplets....just struck me as funny.

We recently had a post on senior pranks.....this years class transformed the school into Hogwarts and wore their grad robes (black) and even had the principal involved who showed up as Dumbledore. Priceless.

tomatoqueen
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

Congrats to your son!!  Awesome job Class of 2011.  My boys are graduating from Kindergarten on June 15th.

It really seems like only yesterday that I attended my younger son's K graduation. Have fun. It is always a really cute ceremony. I thought about that as I heard the names of so many of his K classmates. My older son and I commented on one kid. At the K level, I swore he would end up in juvenile hall. He turned out to be a National Honor Society member, all state football player, and was accepted to Texas A and M....hard to do right out of high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)