Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debate Question: Carseats

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 1320 Total Views

My DD was telling me that we had to buy a new car seat for our truck. I asked her why since the one we have is in great shape and nothing is wrong with it. She said that they are only suppose to be used for 5 years and that they have a tag that has an " expiration date."  I told her that it is a car seat not a gallon of milk.

I understand safety for the child and some might not be in good condition and the safety straps might need adjusting. BUT if they take it to the State Police and have them do a check and see if they are still safe and then they place another sticker on it for another year then we are NOT having car seats wasting in landfills. Do an exchange program or something but some will take these car seat and donate them and if the person gets stopped for not knowing that there is an expiration date they will get a ticket for thinking their child is safe but in reality they are not.

Your thoughts?

Make your dreams come true just by following them!!  ~~ I do have fibromyalgia and RA But it will NEVER have me!" ~~ Come have some fun with the ladies in 40ish and beyond, www.cafemom.com/group/7446 ( tell the girls momma sent ya!!) }!{

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I agree I think your idea is great.  People do not have the money to go buy new car seats every 5yrs or so.  I know they are trying to keep kids safe but some of the restrictions are a bit "off" to me.  I had a carseat that was in perfect condition (my mom used it when dd was with her and it turned out to not be used very much).  We went to take it to one of those kids consignment shops and they would not take it (past date)even tho it was still looking new.  We then went to give it to goodwill since I couldn't sell it (pre-craigslist then)and they would NOT take it either!  So, mom put it in her attic and used it 5 yrs later for my niece .... still in great shape then too.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

My older DD needed a car seat for Wayne a while back and she went to the thrift store and they told her to take any that they had out front because it was against the law to sell used carseats, now we know why.

But to me it is a waste and sorry but we do keep one car seat for the grandbabies just in case we have them.

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I am not quite sure of the carseat laws in our state anymore becaue my kids are so big now that they just use booster seats.  When we did have them in carseats I think the law was it couldn't be more than 3 years old.  We were told by the hospital that if it was in an accident, whether it received damage from said accident or not it HAD to be replaced immediately! 

I know carseat laws have changed even since my kids last used them 4 years ago.

suzi960
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM

i never knew this either....wow they need some sort of exchange program..their are families that save the carseats for when they have another baby..what do they with the old carseats...use them for parts..lol....what a waste ...i say if their unsafe,just upgrade them....

smokeybear
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I agree - do an exchange or something.

I've never heard of this, will have to research my state laws as I have little ones in carseats too.

Thanks for the info.

HEAVNLI1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM

That sounds crazy to me....especially since I was recently looking at carseats and they cost over $100.

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Exchange programs are good but what happens to the old carseats??  I think they should be able to recycle the carseats.  I mean, we dam$ near recycle everything else and really what is a carset made of??  Plastic, which is recyclable!!!  Let's recycle them making the process cost effective and have them affordable to the public if these laws are going to be forced on us!

Melinda67
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM

In Ohio there is no limit on the age of the carseat, none that I could find anyway. As long as they are passing state inspections then you are good. Yes I wish there was a program to recycle them but there isn't.

GeezLouise41
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

It's been awhile since my kids were in car seats but I don't think they had expiration dates.  Interesting.

bjfreeman1
by Miller Time,R.I.P. on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Never knew about an expiration date???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)