Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YIKES...That's alot of Tomatoes!!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 449 Total Views

1st there was one tomato on the vine, I couldn't wait to eat it right there in the garden!   Then there were enough for our dinner salad ~ NOW there's enough to feed the city!!!

We made salsa yesterday ~ GALLONS of it!    My sis brought over her pressure cooker to can whole & diced tomatoes.      Today I keep finding tomato skin & seeds in the darndest places!!!  LOL     Oh, don't even talk about the yellow squash & zucchini invasion!!

Do you can your vegetables or just give them away?   What's your favorite canning method or recipe?

READ MORE about fresh veggies in our Seasoned Sister forum:  Fresh Veggies on the Grill!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andreamarie
by Sister on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

IDK heat killed most of our plants.

smokeybear
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Quoting andreamarie:

IDK heat killed most of our plants.

oh that's a shame andrea  im sorry

BaBeezandMe
by CakeChic on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Quoting smokeybear:

Do you can your vegetables or just give them away?   What's your favorite canning method or recipe?

No I do not can or give away because I don't garden.  I do have an herb garden outside with fresh basil, parsley, sage and thyme in it.  I am not good at growing foods.

My favorite canning method is walking over to the supermarket, picking out the veggies and coming home and cooking them...teehee!!  sorry couldn't resist!

Melinda67
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM

do you pull the leaves off the plant? why?

I have my first garden this year, and Yes I am going to can tomato's. I swear half my garden has been overtaken by vines from canatlope and watermelon. But that is ok, it will get eaten.

smokeybear
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Quoting Melinda67:

I have my first garden this year, and Yes I am going to can tomato's. I swear half my garden has been overtaken by vines from canatlope and watermelon. But that is ok, it will get eaten.

No???

I would love to grow melon, but our growing season is too short for melon.

suzi960
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM
We have tomatoe and basil and parsley..... I don't can though ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melinda67
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Quoting smokeybear:

Quoting Melinda67:

No???

ok I was just curious..in the photo alot of the plants have had their leaves removed. I only planted 6 cantalope and 3 watermelons..and yeah they have over taken alot of the garden. next year, only 3 cantalope are going in.
GeezLouise41
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

LOL.  The beginning of your post had me laughing.  I miss having a garden and hope to have one again some day soon.  And when I do I want to learn to can as well.  Great post. 

bjfreeman1
by Miller Time,R.I.P. on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Nice!

smokeybear
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM
LOL..not my garden, it's from google... sorry. I stink at loading photos on CM. I would love to see everyones garden tho!

Quoting Melinda67:

Quoting smokeybear:

Quoting Melinda67:

No???

ok I was just curious..in the photo alot of the plants have had their leaves removed. I only planted 6 cantalope and 3 watermelons..and yeah they have over taken alot of the garden. next year, only 3 cantalope are going in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)