Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I usually participate in a fashion show and luncheon each year to raise money for charity.  This year it was decided that with the way the economy is, we would have a charity tea and thrift fashion show.  It will be held this Saturday and profits will go to the thrift stores' charities.  It's been a lot of work but will help several deserving causes while show ladies the great finds you can get for affordable prices.

This got me wondering- what are some of the great finds you got from thrift stores? 

by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
KittyGram
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I didn't find them, they were given to me, but in June my neighbor moved out of state, and gave me a whole boat load of clothing (very nice, casual dress, great for my office) that she'd gotten at various thrift stores.

I myself have provided my grandchildren's wardrobes practically in full by going to thrift stores, especially when they were very young.  Not so much anymore, now that the girls are both in school, they've become a bit too picky (but Target is a great choice now!!!), and Oliver's other grandmother spends a lot (and I mean A LOT) of money on him, so I don't necessarily. 

jmpj8107
by Jennifer on Oct. 12, 2011 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I found most of my Portmeiron collection at one of the church consignment stores. I've also scored rugs, dishes, craft supplies, clothes, shoes, pictures, lamps, you name it at some of the really fabulous local thrifts!
lbzmom
by Support Team Sister on Oct. 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Quoting KatiesMom63:

Wow, I need to go shopping with you. 

Quoting lbzmom:

I love shopping in Thrift Stores, has anyone noticed how tshirts are made of super thin fabric and the prices are highter.  Well in the thrift store I can find my husband heavy weight tshirts he wear to work and they are like new and a quarter of the price.

I like finding designer clothes at discounts.

Found some nice jewelry there one time

Bought a framed art that was signed and numbered by the artist.  I dont know if it was valuable, but it was very pretty.

and I just love my large stainless steel pot with a straining pot that fits inside it...  

Sure, any time!! :)

sophiequixnet
by New sister on Oct. 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I don't do alot of thrift store shopping but I only buy my clothes and my baby girls from consignment/resale shops.  I found the dress I'm wearing to my brother's wedding next month on clearance @ a great shop in Traverse City (MI) for $17!  Then found shoes to match at a new store (to me) in Flint (MI) for 5!

KatiesMom63
by Cello Chick on Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, you've got an outfit for a wedding for $22! 

Quoting sophiequixnet:

I don't do alot of thrift store shopping but I only buy my clothes and my baby girls from consignment/resale shops.  I found the dress I'm wearing to my brother's wedding next month on clearance @ a great shop in Traverse City (MI) for $17!  Then found shoes to match at a new store (to me) in Flint (MI) for 5!

gmadiane
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

what a great idea

Tikismom
by sister of the year on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Thrift stores,Goodwill,yard sales,etc,I'm their best customer.Today I stopped at a moving sale and picked up 4 gifts for Christmas and they look brand new.(Music boxes)

shesmokesalot
by on Oct. 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Oh NO!! Not MY grandbaby!! My sonJasons bestfriend Sean & his wife Danielle are having another baby.

Quoting KatiesMom63:

Congrats on the new grandbaby!  Sounds like you got a great deal on the car seat. 

Quoting shesmokesalot:

Yesterday I found an infant car seat (manufactured in 2010!!!!) with the book still in plastic,the clip thingy for the seat belt, the base & space for storage for $20, it looks brand new!! I was stoked, my oldest sons bf & his wife are having another baby so this was a GREAT find!!

KatiesMom63
by Cello Chick on Oct. 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Opps!  Sorry, I missed the 'bf' when I first read your post. 

Quoting shesmokesalot:

Oh NO!! Not MY grandbaby!! My sonJasons bestfriend Sean & his wife Danielle are having another baby.

Quoting KatiesMom63:

Congrats on the new grandbaby!  Sounds like you got a great deal on the car seat. 

Quoting shesmokesalot:

Yesterday I found an infant car seat (manufactured in 2010!!!!) with the book still in plastic,the clip thingy for the seat belt, the base & space for storage for $20, it looks brand new!! I was stoked, my oldest sons bf & his wife are having another baby so this was a GREAT find!!

dslea
by Sister on Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I find a lot of nice glass jars with the lids to store all my scrappy stuff in my craft room.  Terrible pic but i just took it with my phone!

Deonna 
To see my handmade items check out my site

http://designsbydeonna.artfire.com and www.designsbydeonna.etsy.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN