Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much would you spend on a today's standards?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 418 Total Views

I'm really, really in love with my boyfriend. He hasn't proposed yet, but he's talked about marriage quite a bit and apparently I'm the "girl of (his) dreams'. I'm allowing myself to explore wedding plans, just for fun.

My first wedding ceremony 13 years ago was by a justice of the peace with a nice dinner for about 12 people (I was pregnant at the time. Shotgun!) This time, I still want to have a reasonable budget, but I also want to dream a little.

How much did you spend on your wedding, and how long ago did you have your wedding? If you had to do it all over again, would you have spent more or less on your wedding (not counting honeymoon)?

It's fun for me to think about because I'm so happy that I've found love again. I want to do it right this time.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Christine on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I think you have to decide what that dream wedding looks like and then explore options.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:59 PM

i got married 14 years ago...hubby and i paid for our wedding..we had a small wedding in a catering hall with a dj with our closest friends and family... it was what we wanted at the if you ask us ,we both would say just me and him on an island some

by Support Team Sister on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

That's a tuff question for me to answer.  First time, I had a large church wedding and was married to scrooge!  no happiness there!  Second time I was married to my high school sweetheart, in the house he owned by a pastor that I was very fond of.  Had Mom, Dad, My two girls, and his step-father as guests.  Almost no expense, but the best investment I've ever made.  It just depends on the two of you...plan it with love.  Beth100

by Manth on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I got married 19 years ago.  I made my own gown - $400 for materials, it was silk and gold boullion trimming.  My mother did the flowers - silk head pieces for me and 2 bridesmaids, plus silk flower bouquets for $100 in materials.  We used a taxi company for the cars - 2 unmarked taxis for 2 hours was $200 (most limo service companies wanted that much for the DEPOSIT).  We got married in a  public park by a civil celebrant - $100 for the celebrant and nothing for the park use.  We had a sit-down 3 course dinner for 70 at a restaurant with drinks (house wine, beer and soft drinks on tap, anything special they wanted the guests paid for) which was $2500.  The cake was made and decorated by a friend of my mother for $200.  A friend who had just graduated with a degree in photography did all the camera work for the cost of the film and processing - her services were her gift to us.  So all up we spent less than $4000 and had a wonderful day making many very happy memories.

by Boston Strong on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM

I had a wedding for my daughter in 2009. It cost us about $15,000.

by Goddess Johnnie on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I personally feel that for a second wedding, less is more.  Have a wedding with who and what is really important to you.  It doesn't have to be small, just don't go over the top and spend too much.  I've been to 2nd weddings that were lavish and most people felt it was a bit much. 

Back when I got married (20 years ago) our wedding cost us about $5000.  We had a lovely park ceremony and then a catered dinner with dancing and such for about 150 people.  I would do it all again if I could! 

by Gold sister on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM

when me a nd  so marry it will just be an elopment. so I am going cheap. I have no honest answers on this I would guess if I was doing more than eloping it would be 2-3 grand

by It's a jen.thing :) on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I have no idea.  If I was doing it at this age, with kids and all.  I think it would be more casual but at the same time much nicer (if that makes sense).  

I had the full Catholic wedding, formal dinner, etc.  

I think the ceremony would a bit more on the casual side this go around.  But the reception definitely someplace GREAT.  Being that we are all older and in a better place financially we could do something REALLY fun and make it a huge vacation/party.

How cool would it be to fly off to Ireland and get married in a castle?  Or on the beach in Hawaii?  Or under the norther lights on an Alaskan cruise?  Or on a private yacht?  Or take over a whole B&B some where really pretty?  Oh dang dang dang.... now Im going to have to off my husband so I can fall in love and get married again.  THANKS@!

btw... 2013 will be our 20th and Im already planning on doing a small vow renewal.  The actual plans will vary depending on where my daughter goes to college.  She will be in school so I may have to surprise hubs with a trip to where ever she is and do it there.  Ill keep tabs on this post for good ideas.

by Gold sister on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM
To me weddings ate over rated so I'm not the person to ask! Have fun! Love today,tomorrow & always
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Momma's new BFF on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I would pay what I could afford, nothing more... You can have a nice wedding on a budget. My daughter got married 2 years ago, we spent 8 - $10,000. She had a very nice wedding with a lot of extras..we just had to travel to a location that would be more affordable then Florida so she got married in Tenn..we have family there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)