Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on flat screen tv

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 657 Total Views

My husband and I are wanting to buy a new flat screen tv as a family Christmas present.  My husband found a RCA 32".  We have never had a flat screen and don't know anything about what to look for and/or avoid when buying one.  BTW, we're looking at buying a console.  If you have one, would you please tell me what brand and what you like/don't like about it.  I welcome any helpful information!

I need to add that we don't have cable and won't get it.  Do we still need 1080 dpi (?) with antenna tv? 

TIA:o)

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

We have a 42" Samsung...love it, no complaints, gorgeous picture quality.  We've had it for about three years now...looks just like the day we bought it.

Pherlyce
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

flat screen make it sure its LED, 1080pix, some flat screen are 780pix and they are also ok, best time to buy tv because is so cheap. Best flat screen is Sony Bravia, or Sharp aquos a bit expensive, but any brand now it seems fine, tv's now have better quality than before, so go for it.

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM

You want to have 1080p. A lot of tvs that are on sale are 720p and that's why they are on sale. High definition is 1080p. You want a high refresh rate, like 120hz. A low refresh rate will give you a blurry picture during action sequences. You want a high contrast ratio. Lower contrast ratios make the black appear gray. You will need a larger tv than you would if you had a square tv. For example, my son had a 25 inch old tv. We bought him a flat screen and he needed a 32 inch. His room is 14ft by 12 ft. Here is a general formula to help decide what size tv you need.

Screen Viewing distance range 26" 3.25-5.5 feet 32" 4.0-6.66 feet 37" 4.63-7.71 feet 40" 5.0-8.33 feet 46" 5.75-9.5 feet 52" 6.5-10.8 feet 58" 7.25-12 feet 65" 8.13-13.5 feet 70" 8.75-14.75 feet

Also remember that not all programs are high def and those programs don't use the full screen. For example, if you have a 40 inch flat screen tv and are watching a high def program than the full 40 inches will be used. If you're program is not high def, then you are only seeing 32 inches of the screen with the sides blacked out.

I have a few flat screen tvs in my houses. I have a 55 inch Sony Bravia Smart tv, a 46 inch Sharp Aquos, a 32 inch Sylvania, a 32 inch LG and a 32 inch Vizio. I would not buy a Sony tv if you paid me. I had so many problems with my Sony tvs. Each time, it is a manufacturers problem and after much fighting, they have sent me a new one to replace the defective ones that I have had. I am on my third Sony replacement and I am keeping my fingers crossed with this one. The best tv that we have is the Sharp Aquos. The picture on the sharp as compared to the other tvs is so much better, more colorful, and clearer. It blows all the others away. I will be downstairs watching the sony and go upstairs and look at the Sharp and it always amazes me how much better the picture is.

smeldsgang
by Sister on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Quoting kaarina:

You want to have 1080p. A lot of tvs that are on sale are 720p and that's why they are on sale. High definition is 1080p. You want a high refresh rate, like 120hz. A low refresh rate will give you a blurry picture during action sequences. You want a high contrast ratio. Lower contrast ratios make the black appear gray. You will need a larger tv than you would if you had a square tv. For example, my son had a 25 inch old tv. We bought him a flat screen and he needed a 32 inch. His room is 14ft by 12 ft. Here is a general formula to help decide what size tv you need.

Screen Viewing distance range 26" 3.25-5.5 feet 32" 4.0-6.66 feet 37" 4.63-7.71 feet 40" 5.0-8.33 feet 46" 5.75-9.5 feet 52" 6.5-10.8 feet 58" 7.25-12 feet 65" 8.13-13.5 feet 70" 8.75-14.75 feet

Also remember that not all programs are high def and those programs don't use the full screen. For example, if you have a 40 inch flat screen tv and are watching a high def program than the full 40 inches will be used. If you're program is not high def, then you are only seeing 32 inches of the screen with the sides blacked out.

I have a few flat screen tvs in my houses. I have a 55 inch Sony Bravia Smart tv, a 46 inch Sharp Aquos, a 32 inch Sylvania, a 32 inch LG and a 32 inch Vizio. I would not buy a Sony tv if you paid me. I had so many problems with my Sony tvs. Each time, it is a manufacturers problem and after much fighting, they have sent me a new one to replace the defective ones that I have had. I am on my third Sony replacement and I am keeping my fingers crossed with this one. The best tv that we have is the Sharp Aquos. The picture on the sharp as compared to the other tvs is so much better, more colorful, and clearer. It blows all the others away. I will be downstairs watching the sony and go upstairs and look at the Sharp and it always amazes me how much better the picture is.

That's a lot of helpful information, Thank You!

Is there a difference between the console and wall mounted tvs?

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM

All of the tvs come with a stand. You can do it either way. I have mine on wall mounts because they are so thin and light, I am afraid the dog will knock them over.

smeldsgang
by Sister on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Quoting kaarina:

All of the tvs come with a stand. You can do it either way. I have mine on wall mounts because they are so thin and light, I am afraid the dog will knock them over.

We have an entertainment center for the tv.

smeldsgang
by Sister on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM

bump

bertie277
by Gold sister on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kaarina:

Wow you are so cool to help another sister out. (((HUGS)))

angel miniAngel:)

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Thanks Bertie. I had so many fights with Sony, starting in 2007, that I did all kinds of research into tvs so I could make an informed decision on what points to argue with them, and what to look for when I buy a new tv. I ended up sending a certified letter to the CEO of Sony, and got results. I am glad to pass on any knowledge I have to help another sister out : )

kimber2465
by Sister on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Quoting kaarina:

Thanks Bertie. I had so many fights with Sony, starting in 2007, that I did all kinds of research into tvs so I could make an informed decision on what points to argue with them, and what to look for when I buy a new tv. I ended up sending a certified letter to the CEO of Sony, and got results. I am glad to pass on any knowledge I have to help another sister out : )

you were having problems with sony? we haven't had any problems with any of ours( we have four total). we just got the Bravia 3d several months ago to replace the last old tv in the house( it finally died). so far love it. we bought a new enternaiment center  for it sit on in the living room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)