• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calcification on the brain??

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 529 Total Views

Okay so I fell down the stupid stairs yesterday and went to the er just to be sure everything was okay. They said I probably had a mild concussion, took a Cat scan and said everything was okay. This morning I get a call and another doctor took a look and said yes everything looked okay...no bleeding swelling etc BUT they saw some spots that look like calcifications on my brain! WTH? So I have to go in for an MRI just to make sure it's nothing. Anyone else heard of this or have it?

I guess that gives new meaning on Bone Head LOL!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bjfreeman1
by Miller Time,R.I.P. on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Never heard of it but I got curious and found this....

Calcifications on the brain have many names, calcinosis and Fahr's Syndrome for instance. But the cause remains the same for all of them. They are a result of too much calcium depositing and accumulating in the soft tissue of the brain. Calcifications can happen all over the body. For some, like martial artists, calcifications are a good thing. The actually grow them on their knuckles by punching hard surfaces, to harden their fists. For the rest of us however, we want calcifications to stay well away, especially from our brains!

Symptoms

In cases where calcium has built up in the brain, people show various brain dysfunctions.

• Loss or partial loss of motor control.
  • Involuntary movement, tremors, writhing.
  • Stiffness or rigidity.
  • Dementia, mental retardation.
  • Mask like facial appearance.
  • Vision problems.
  • Seizures.

Causes

There are two classifications of calcification on the brain. Metastatic Calcification and Dystrophic Calcification. The former is when calcification is caused by too much calcium or phosphorus in the blood. The latter deals with calcification as a result of inflammation or damage to the site. Usually this happens to the skin but in the brain this might occur after surgery or some other invasive therapy.

Treatments

Treatments for brain calcifications include reconciling the underlying excess calcium and phosphorus in the body, treatments to alleviate symptoms and if necessary surgical removal of the actual offending calcium deposits.

Make sure to check with your doctor to see if any change in your diet is required to bring levels down. Antacids might be prescribed to remedy calcium levels. Calcium blockers such as 'warfarin' are also sometimes prescribed but have side effects. Dietary changes may be ordered as well to allow more intake of less acid, more alkaline foods.

Research is being conducted to see if certain 'Bone Drugs' have any effect on calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood and if they can dissolve deposits away.

VTHaven
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Gee wiz BJ...that's a lot of info! Good for you for checking into this...so tell us "momofne" do you have any of these symptoms? I'm facinated with medical stuff...

momofne
by Silver sister on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Well I have had some vision problems, blurryness, problems with dry eyes, driving at night and my glasses never seem to be the right perscription. And I have trouble remembering stuff but I just thought that was perimenopause.Thanks for the info BJ. I'm just really sore today from the fall : )

Quoting VTHaven:

Gee wiz BJ...that's a lot of info! Good for you for checking into this...so tell us "momofne" do you have any of these symptoms? I'm facinated with medical stuff...

suzi960
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

OUCH, GLAD YOU REALLY DIDNT HURT YOURSELF... WELL KEEP US POSTED WITH ALL THIS OTHER INFO....

brighteyes112
by Sweet Thang on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Glad you went to the E.R. and got checked out! Keep us updated on your MRI results. 

hugs

hau_siyoka
by Wanda - Indian Girl on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Hey  ya sissy....Keep us posted on your situation...I'm part of the beyond family and  gave bone head a serious giggle....wth now? I am disabled with fibromyalgia and other issues and take a gang of meds..do they increase the dosages when ya get a bone head? lol

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Quoting brighteyes112:

Glad you went to the E.R. and got checked out! Keep us updated on your MRI results. 

hugs

MissTLC
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I'm glad you1cre allright. Keep us posted!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shelleyragsdale
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I HAVE THIS TOO.  SEVERAL SPOTS BUT NOTHING BECAME OF IT.  I HOPE YOU GETTHE SAME NEWS   GOD BLESS.

mommom65
by New sister on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

the person that answered your question has been helpful to  all of us. I wish you good luck. and please keep me informed as I'm waiting to go for tests on my brain and I'm scared to find out.

pink ribbon

mommom65

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)