• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ways to Save Money But Still Keep Your Friends

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 132 Total Views

Did you attend a Super Bowl party this past weekend? People arrived carrying their contribution in bags from the store. The table was like an ocean of food -- island-bowls of chips surrounding the huge seven-layer dip mountain, celery and carrot rafts scattered about...and reefs of brownies towered around the edges. Good food and good friends always make a great time, no matter where you are. But often where you are when you're hanging out can make a difference with how much that great time costs.

No one likes to go out with pals and just order the soup and have water while everyone else dines on the filet mignon and a glass of vino. Socializing with friends can sometimes really impact your Family Piggy Bank, and your Family Piggy Bank situation can sometimes impact how you are able to hang out with buds. Which isn't fun. Just because you are cutting back and changing some habits doesn't mean you don't want to be social.

More likely than not, many of your friends would jump at the opportunity to save some cash while still having fun. Step up to the plate and start organizing some budget-friendly gatherings. Need some ideas? Of course, I have a few for you...what are friends for?

-- Host a Game Night. Why keep the games for just the kids? Organize an adult game night. You can break out the good ol' Trivial Pursuit or recreate some old TV game shows. A little bit of time spent coming up with funny questions for an in-home version of the 25,000 Pyramid or Family Feud can make for an evening filled with laughs. Have everyone bring an appetizer and what they want to drink and all of you will have saved money (and had a better time) versus going out to a restaurant.

-- Start a Book Club. It was all the rage a few years ago, but really, gather that group of moms  that you love going out to the movies with or grabbing java or vino and start a book club. And, you know, it doesn't have to be just books you discuss. Maybe one of you read a cool blog post or an article in the paper -- pass it around and share your thoughts. Whoever hosts provides the main dish, and then everyone else brings some munchies and dessert and beverages.

-- Do a Clothes Swap. Kids clothes, your clothes, his clothes. Have a fun evening of "shopping" at your home. Whatever doesn't get selected by others can be donated to a church or shelter. One hint: an easy way to display some of the items is to grab an old tension rod and hang in a doorway, so gals can really see everything. Again, have people bring some nibbles and their beverage of choice. So much cheaper than hitting the mall together for a day of shopping! 

How do you save money while still seeing friends and family?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kathienpb
by Sister on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Sigh...I go to happy hour...drinks are cheap and food is half price. Problem is I have a couple shots of tequila, get generous and buy a round for everyone. Now I just keep it to one or two lightweight friends and invite the partiers over to the house. Usually they think its rude to show up emptyhanded so they bring the food. I like the game night idea though. I could see us trying to play uno. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)