Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

The girl's mom wants to meet my son. And here is my issue with that! EDIT IN RED

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • 52 Replies
  • 972 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Bit of background. 16 yr old DS invites pretty girl to Homecoming last fall. We all meet at a park to take picutures with 4 boys and their dates.  When they get out of the car, all the boys stare. Said young pretty girls are 1/2 dressed!! Short dresses/high heels, strapless tops, slits in the side of the dress etc... You get the idea.  One mom leans over as whispers to me "I feel sorry for our boys". I whisper back "At least my son's date has the most clothes on". Ugh...

Forward to today. DS invites a different girl to the Snowball Dance in 2 weeks. Her mom wants my DS to come over so she can meet him. (And approve him I'm guessing). I am fine with this. This is a great learning curve for my son into the world of dating.

My question is this: Is it appropriate for me to ask the mom if her DD will be wearing clothes? A lot of clothes? How much clothing??? lol

We both want my son to treat your DD with respect- so please have her fully dressed when DS comes to pick her up then! 

Opinions???

EDIT: I thought that the dance was next week- it is tomorrow! YIKES!! Then I got a text from DS saying this young ladies grandma was rushed to the ER-she left school. So she canceled for tomorrow. I hope the Grandma is ok- and I escaped this issue until PROM!!! Thanks moms-cooler heads prevailed!

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Well hopefully since they are wanting to meet your son prior to the dance means they have enough sense to make their daughter dress properly.  Unfortunately in this day and time parents tend to overlook how their daughters, dress and act but yet the minute something goes awry it's our sons who are the bad guy...ugh.  Good luck!

shadenn766
by Platinum sister on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

you can ask what you want thats your son...lol...tell her you want to color coordinate their outfits so therefore you need to know what the girl will be wearing...

let us know how it goes

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Firstly, I have daughters and though some of there gowns were strapless they were always tasteful. If some mom wants to approve my daughter's dress I would tell her to buy it then because that is just very distasteful on so many levels.

I do ask my daughter's dates to come to the house, of course. I would like to get a picture before they leave and go over when I except him to bring her home. One year, it was my daughter who drove, I made sure she asked his parents as well as him what time he was supposed to be home.

But back to the judgement of the dresses, please if you want your son ever have a date again don't go down that path.

mommabelli
by Med Mom on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you have the mom's phone number? I would casually discuss with her in a roundabout way about what her daughter will be wearing to the dance. I hope I've helped a little. Good luck.

graduateChristy

happinessforyou
by Sister on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Our oldest is a girl-and trust me-she never dressed like these girls did! How am I supposed to tell my DS to treat your DD with respect, hands-off, open the door for her etc..etc.. When your DD shows her whats-it climbing out of your car???? Pffttt....

Quoting crazymom729:

Well hopefully since they are wanting to meet your son prior to the dance means they have enough sense to make their daughter dress properly.  Unfortunately in this day and time parents tend to overlook how their daughters, dress and act but yet the minute something goes awry it's our sons who are the bad guy...ugh.  Good luck!

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I think you need to re-word what you wrote to the parents. Instead of asking will your daughter be wearing clothes? Ask maybe how will your daughter be dressed. Remember just because a girl dresses skimpily doesn't mean NO clothes. Please maintain your composure! PS- Just looking out for you! :)

happinessforyou
by Sister on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You have all been helpful. I just want to tell all mothers of daughters- to dress them, have them act like nice young ladies, no hooker shoes, they will wear underwear, no slits up the front/back of their dresses etc etc... Hormones are raging on all sides: why encourage them......

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM

That's right... I've been lucky with my two boys, so far with the number of girls they have dated they seem to pick ones that their parents actually care how the dress when they go out in public...

Quoting happinessforyou:

Our oldest is a girl-and trust me-she never dressed like these girls did! How am I supposed to tell my DS to treat your DD with respect, hands-off, open the door for her etc..etc.. When your DD shows her whats-it climbing out of your car???? Pffttt....

Quoting crazymom729:

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Quoting happinessforyou:

Quoting crazymom729:

All you have to do is state it plain and simply. Give the girl a chance!

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

You can ask what type of dress and voice your concerns due to last year... There is nothing wrong with a mom of any gender asking..

Hold on tight it's going to get hardier for the next few years! LOL..My daughter is 23 and married...I can know relax, til grandbabies.....sigh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)