Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

As per my doctor, it is official! I am old!

I have been without contacts or glasses for a couple of months. I finally went to the optometrist today. I was a little excited because I was sick of not being about to drive myself or see anything without getting right up to it. That enthusiasm was short lived. I go get the exam and afterward the doctor informed me I was losing sight in my near sight as well as my already challenged far sight. She then dropped this bomb on me,

"Unfortunately, you will need to wear reading glasses on top of your contacts or get bifocal lenses.  Women your age get progressively deteriorating near sight."

So, now I can see better and that is a double edged sword. Now I can see my wrinkles better from a distance but need bifocals so I can see my wrinkles close up too! This 40th year crap is really getting on my last nerve!

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Not_A_Native
by Sister on Mar. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I'm 55, and two years ago I was told I needed bifocals.  I had before only worn reading glasses, my distance vision USED to be good, lol.

BUT - I got contacts, one for distance, one for up close.  They call it monovision, and the brain corrects it.  Works perfectly for me (about 10% they say is perfect, 80% is good, and 10% can't do it).  Mine were right from the minute I did it.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by ASS QUEEN on Mar. 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Bifocals or not, we are not a bunch of over the hill mommas! We are not giving in to age! If I have to lie to myself, so be it! heheheh

Well I think we wear it well dont we?

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by ASS QUEEN on Mar. 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Awesome! Thats what I am getting. 

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I'm 55, and two years ago I was told I needed bifocals.  I had before only worn reading glasses, my distance vision USED to be good, lol.

BUT - I got contacts, one for distance, one for up close.  They call it monovision, and the brain corrects it.  Works perfectly for me (about 10% they say is perfect, 80% is good, and 10% can't do it).  Mine were right from the minute I did it.

javamom12
by Bronze sister on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You should have smacked her. It wouldn't improve your sight, but  it would have made you feel better.

suzi960
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

nerdyoh you will look sexy in glasses... i know it!!!

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by ASS QUEEN on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I am not that vain but darn....... She didnt have to come right out with Women My Age! Oh well. My kids already have a home for me on speed dial. 

suzi960
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

lol....

Quoting DAHLONEGAMOMMY:

I am not that vain but darn....... She didnt have to come right out with Women My Age! Oh well. My kids already have a home for me on speed dial. 

gammachris
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I realized I needed glasses when I was 21, and working as an EMT. One night, my partner and I had a hard time finding a call, because we had to slow down and practically hang out the windows of the ambulance to make out the road signs. I told my partner, "Jim, either you or I need glasses, or a new, non-blind partner."

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by ASS QUEEN on Mar. 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM

lol

Quoting gammachris:

I realized I needed glasses when I was 21, and working as an EMT. One night, my partner and I had a hard time finding a call, because we had to slow down and practically hang out the windows of the ambulance to make out the road signs. I told my partner, "Jim, either you or I need glasses, or a new, non-blind partner."

ladybugist
by Sister on Mar. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Welcome to the GA Girl no sight near or far club---LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)