Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Fatigue...Thyroid? Adrenal Fatigue?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 578 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Hi, sisters. I have never had much energy, but recently my level of fatigue has really been whipping me! It seems to take all I have to do anything. Have you ever had this problem? Is it just getting older? I don't think so because I see women older than me with lots of energy. How about thyroid problems? Adrenal fatigue? What do you think it could be?

Pattielove you sign

by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orngblsm
by Sister on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

It could be almost anything.  You should probably go to your doctor and have a full physical with a complete blood panel.  In the meantime, make sure you are getting enough B-complex vitamins.  Those are the ones used in energy production.

Ferne
by Silver sister on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe this will help.

The Common Causes of Fatigue
Pat Elliott, ND

1) Insufficient sleep

a) Due to lifestyle choices - to function optimally, most people need at least 8 hours of sleep consistently. Inability to wake without an alarm or easy falling asleep during the day are clues for inadequate hours of sleep.

b) Due to disrupted sleep quality or difficulty sleeping - because hormones such as adrenal cortisol, thyroid hormone, and melatonin control sleep phase cycling, very often there is a hormonal cause for insomnia or its milder version, un-refreshing sleep. Even if one is "asleep", adequate REST may not obtained when sleep phase cycling is disrupted. When this happens, symptoms of sleep deprivation, such as fatigue, depression and poor concentration may develop.

2) Nutrient deficiency - a less than optimal dietary intake of virtually any nutrient can contribute to fatigue, B vitamins (such as B12 and folic acid) and minerals (such as iron) being some of the most common. Often, in these situations, energy levels can be improved through the use of a good quality multiple vitamin and mineral supplement with above RDA doses.

Iron deficiency is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies in children and women between the ages of 35 and 50. If iron deficiency becomes severe, it often causes anemia which can be picked up on screening bloodwork. However, many cases of mild to moderate iron deficiency do not create anemia and therefore go undetected while causing fatigue and other symptoms (click here for more information on iron deficiency) This common type of deficiency can only be identified by a blood test called a ferritin level - a specific measure of the body's iron stores. A ferritin level below 40 is indicative of iron depletion and warrants iron supplementation.

3) Hormonal disturbance - because hormones control the release of energy at the cellular level, ongoing fatigue can often be traced back to a hormonal cause. Mild hormonal disturbances involving thyroid hormone (click here for more information regarding low thyroid function), adrenal hormone, melatonin, estrogen and progesterone are quite common. Unfortunately they usually do not reveal themselves during screening bloodwork or physical exams; however, to a physician skilled in detecting them based on history, symptoms, and sensitive hormonal tests, the symptoms they produce are often unmistakable. Because of their profound influence on not only energy levels, but also mood, memory, motivation, sexuality, immunity etc, hormonal disturbances can significantly impair quality of life.

4) Chronic/recurring infection and lowered immunity - when large amounts of energy are going to the battling of infection, fatigue is a common side effect. While some infections, such as parasitic, are difficult to eradicate for even those with healthy levels of immunity, most often suppressed immunity is at the root of chronic or recurring infections.

5) Gluten Intolerance (also called Celiac Disease) - About 1 in 300 people have this genetically determined condition which leads to an abnormal digestive and immunological response to the ingestion of specific grain proteins. Many go undiagnosed because it often produces non-specific symptoms such as chronic fatigue. Specialized testing is required for diagnosis and dietary avoidance of the offending proteins usually produces complete recovery.

6) Hemochromatosis (also called Iron Overload) - About 1 in 350 people have this genetic trait which causes them to absorb and accumulate, over their lifetime, toxic levels of iron in various organs of their body. This disorder is not tested for in screening bloodwork and is only revealed by the use of iron testing, including ferritin level, to determine if excessive iron stores are present. Because this condition causes irreversible organ damage over time, it is important to recognize as early as possible. Significant fatigue is an early symptom in many affected people. Treatment involves reducing iron stores by a consistent program of blood donation.

5) Overwork - lack of sufficient recreation/play/relaxation and/or emotionally-fulfilling activity

MomofSCMJJA
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hypothyroidism can definately cause fatigue and fortunately it is both easy to test with a simple blood test and simple to treat with a thyroid supplement.  Some other symptoms of it are hair falling out, always being cold, and changes in mood.

I know nothing about adrenal fatigue.

backroadsmom
by Sister on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be interested to read the replies. I've been having the same problem. Little worried about myself. Already talked to a doctor and had basic lab a couple times. Every thing appears ok, but I'm not so sure.

bookmommy
by Sister on Mar. 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I would read up on Mary Shomon's website or her books. Thyroid is one of the most misdiagnosed problems out there and a lot of docs don't know how to treat it sucessfully. Good luck!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I would go to your doctor. A full blood work up might point to what is going on.

I deal with fatigue due to mono. I've had active mono (not just testing positive for EBV) twice in 3 years. The first time I had it it took 9 months for me to feel like I was able to function again. I currently have fatigue and some of the other symptoms hanging on. I never had mono as a teen and it totally wipes me out. Not fun at all.

cjs702006
by Buddah on Mar. 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

It could be a number of things. I would make an appointment with your doctor to figure out what could be causing this. Hope you're feeling better soon.

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Mar. 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM

That was a problem with most of the women in my family but mine has been great...I just need to catch the lil wee one who keeps knocking me over away from me...The older I get it seems the more needs I have and I try each day to do a little more than the next...Make an early dr. appt and don't eat or drink anything and ask them to do a thyroid panel on you, you have to be fasting so early in the morning is always better than starving all day to find out lol...Keep us posted...wishing you love and extra energy

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Mar. 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Could be iron too, but going to the doctor and getting a panel done is the best way to go. Good luck!

shadenn766
by Platinum sister on Mar. 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

go get checked out...good luck and keep us posted

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)