Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother has been clinically depressed for over 20 years. She has been on disability. She took early retirement which has now been used up. She only hangs out with others who have mental issues. Other than me and my family she probably doesn't know anyone that isn't on disability. Her mind is mostly gone due to the drugs and shock therapy.

So the other day she tells me that I should have my kids on disability for ADHD and Social Anxiety Disorder. She claims to know people who have small children on disability. Does this really happen? What happened to taking care of yourself and your kids?!? I also found her statement to be both an attack and a put down.

What do you think about this?
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Replies (21-28):
lauriebash
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I must add, I know that everyone is different. Some have other conditions along with the ADHD. I am not, in any way, saying that everyone is as capable of dealing with their ADHD and other conditions as swiftly as my husband did. I pray every day that our boys follow in his footsteps. This is one instance that we are VERY lucky

bourbon901
by Sister on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think children with these disorders should be labeled disabled.   That label will stick with them their whole life.  

Nogrands
by New sister on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I Guess you were not expecting her comment from your mother but it was some good information. I work in the healthcare field, and I do not know how old your child is but if everything is not set in order for your child if anything happends to you an your spouse, that would possibly leave your child destitute depending on social workers to get everything set up for them. Then that takes a long time.  Just because you file the paperwork thats not to say that you have to use the money for the child right away. If you are smart, use the money to have the child set up. Purchace some land, put some in the stock market for your child. So when they are on their own they can have something to look forward to to support them while they are adjusting to life with their disability. Just another thought..

MJC33710
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I had heard of it before... & when my son was diagnosed with ADHD I tried to get him on disability but was turned down.  That was decades ago.  Now he's 26, can't hold down a job, & has dual diagnosis of ADHD plus bi-polar.  He SHOULD be on SSI, because he is not able to hold down a job.  I feel for anyone going thru this.

witch_e_woman
by The Witch of 40ish on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM
My son began receiving SSI when he was 7 yrs old for Emotional & Learning Disabilities related to ADD/ADHD.

He is now 22 & is still receiving SSI.

He can only work 22 hrs a week or he loses his SSI income.

In order for him to have received SSI, we had to prove he was disabled, which meant getting paperwork from his schl & from his therapist & psychologist.

It took months before he was approved for SSI, but he got it.

So, yes, it is true that kids can receive SSI for certain disabilities including ADD/ADHD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTLC
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:59 AM

hmmm. Well I had no idea.

happygolucky106
by Wild Black Stallion on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:50 AM

It,s not as simple as just putting your kids out there for disability,there are many steps to go thru to sign your children up and to convince a judge why.. Took me 2 years to collect all the info I needed /with a Lawyer,went in front of a Judge,,he was denied.. 

happygolucky106
by Wild Black Stallion on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM

My son even wears leg braces, I couldnt believe what the Judge ruled,, she said as long as he took meds for all these problems then he was cured,wtf??But thats how it went...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)