Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disability for ADHD kids?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 28 Replies
  • 501 Total Views
1 mom liked this
My mother has been clinically depressed for over 20 years. She has been on disability. She took early retirement which has now been used up. She only hangs out with others who have mental issues. Other than me and my family she probably doesn't know anyone that isn't on disability. Her mind is mostly gone due to the drugs and shock therapy.

So the other day she tells me that I should have my kids on disability for ADHD and Social Anxiety Disorder. She claims to know people who have small children on disability. Does this really happen? What happened to taking care of yourself and your kids?!? I also found her statement to be both an attack and a put down.

What do you think about this?
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

If you are low income, diagnosed by a psychologist and psychriatist with proper documentation you could probably file for it.  In most  cases that I know of it takes a very long time to get it if you even get it at all. Dana could explain this alot better than me.

suzi960
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

do your children have these issues??/  i was not aware of children getting disability over ADHD...

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I haven't heard of it for ADHD, but have heard of it for bi-polar. Both bi-polar and ADHD can be very debilitating. I can see how you would take that as an attack, but what she is saying is that it can be hereditary. Trust me, I know, my son is both! Ugghh, sorry she upset you~!

valkay
by faithful sister on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I think that if you need the money for medicine or treatments for your kid then ok .  but if the kids problems are not costing you anything or very little then no.

My oldest is legally blind and we did not seek any goverment money.

hopealways4019
by Bronze sister on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I'm poor, my 2 kids receive it, one has cancer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VTHaven
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Sorry...but consider the source. You are stating that your mother has mental health issues and perhaps her clarity in understanding is not quite up to snuff. I have a dd with ADHD...and although it's considered a "disability" because it impacts her learning...she is NOT disabled.  BIG difference.

lwalker270
by Sister on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My son has ADHD and is being evaluated for Aspergers.  Personally, I wouldn't feel right collecting disability for him.  We have excellent insurance that covers his care.  If we didn't, and as a result he wasn't getting adequate care, then we might consider it..

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Quoting VTHaven:

Sorry...but consider the source. You are stating that your mother has mental health issues and perhaps her clarity in understanding is not quite up to snuff. I have a dd with ADHD...and although it's considered a "disability" because it impacts her learning...she is NOT disabled.  BIG difference.

Vickey- You say consider the source regarding the Mother. She is part of the proof of heredity!

LFosterfarm
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

it was mentioned to me to do this as well for my oldest son, who at the time was diagnosed with ADHD oppostional defiant disorder, mood disorder, I'm sure I'm forgetting something but you get the point, anyways, I never did as we thought well we don't want him to get a lable early on as it will stick with them.  after the age of about 20 he was officially diagnosed with anti social personality disorder, fancy for psycho/socio path.  I don't talk about this lightly incase someone has seen me share this before, it's horrific, but I have learned alot after the initial diagnosis, and sadly I fought tooth and nail to help him get on disability social security, he got it, and now he's constantly asking one family member or another for money as it's just not enough to live on.  he's never been able to hold down a job, but now he thinks he shouldn't have to have a job, he has SS.  this is a severe catch 22 situation.  I don't know if he'll ever LEARN to deal with what he has and live a normal life, but now he is LABLED for life!!!  think about this very seriously and do as much homework/research as possible.  I hope this helps and it's only my point of view from what we've been through.  I can say, be thankful your mom has friends, as my son doesn't have the first clue how to make/have/keep friends!

thebailiffs
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I work with children who are all visually impaired. A few of the parents I work with receive SSI for their children. These are all parents who are not able to keep a job and would have no way to provide for their children. In this case I feel it is ok to apply for and get SSI.
If you are able and can provide for your child then you should do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)