Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

What would your 40 year old self tell your 16 year old self?

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember whe we were 16 and we thought we owned the world? If you could go back for one hour and talk to your 16 year old self what advice would you give yourself?

Come join 40ish and beyond for a Healthier you in 2012 www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
Ppuff1971
by Bronze sister on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Let's see, that would put me back in my Junior year of High school.  And I would tell myself the following: "You see that incredibly handsome guy when you walk down the hallway to a different class room? Yeah, you are SUPPOSED to be with him.  He loves you and doesn't even know it. But he'll let you know it in the year 2011"  

Avitar
by Sister on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

qualify your buyer better!..Don't settle for less of a guy in your life. Finish school & Do what your life'spassion is.

MissTLC
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I would say don't be so trusting and stand on your own.

VTHaven
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Learn to forgive easier....in the end you will like yourself more.

cherylam
by Bronze sister on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Quoting roseytheriveter:

Don't take yourself so seriously...laugh more...realize everyone else your age is worried about what YOU think of THEM...you will get over that...love your mom & dad, you won't have them forever.

you're right about your mom & dad...I lost mom & dad within 6 weeks of each other 5 years ago and miss them more & more every day.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Get away from that guy!!!! ( who is now my X and a Big Fat ***hole!!!!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
puritydoll
by Bronze sister on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

"You're going to have an awesome daughter.
Also you will be a lot better looking when you're 40."  (I was a bit of a late bloomer)

Oh yeah, and "Stop doing dishes without wearing gloves". 

I told my 16 year old daughter about the gloves!

be generous in happiness, and patient in affliction. 

Mordsyth
by Sister on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Dump the loser... Although if I did that then I would not have met my wonderful husband so probably wouldn't change a thing

tomatoqueen
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Maybe I was just unusual, but I did not think I owned the world at all...never really thought that.  Maybe that is due to low self esteem.

What would I tell my 16 yr old self?

1. The thyroid tumors diagnosed at age 15 are a sign of a lot of other medical problems...be proactive in

medical care, ask questions!

2. It is okay to not be perfect. I expected too much of myself. My mom said she never worried about seeing my report cards because I was much tougher on myself than she ever would be. 

3. It is not necessary to always be number 1. I placed 2nd at the TX state speech tournament and begged my coach to not have it announced on the school announcements.I was ashamed because it was not number 1. Being 2nd at any state tournment is an honor and TX has long been recognized as one of the toughest states for speech competitions..

4. You can succeed even if you don't come from money...go to law school. I was first generation college and did not have any family help...encouragement yes, help, no one had gone to a university before and did not know what to tell me. I did not even think I was smart enough to go to college. Fortunately, my mom pushed me along with my high school debate coach, so I went. I ended up with a full tuition scholarship, but did not really realize that I had the smarts to do anything I wanted. By the time I decided to go to law school, I was 32 and a lupus diagnosis and the massive complications I had prevented me from attending.

5.  Sex is not a mystery and it is okay to feel sexy. I was a victim of childhood sexual abuse. I could not see how any  man could want me. I ran from guys who showed sexual attraction until I was in my 20s.

6. GO TO PROM...I did not know what to wear and was afraid I did not fit in, so I avoided social settings like this. I would tell my 16 yr old self that even those who are popular and look like they have it all are eaten up with insecurities.     

bourbon901
by Sister on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I would have told myself to take school more seriously.   I finished highschool and had some college hours, but never went back and finished.   My older brother and sister both have masters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN