• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Octomom Investigated by CPS

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 345 Total Views

Nadya "Octomom" Suleman is in danger of losing her 14 children after police paid a visit to her La Habra, California home on Tuesday night after her hairstylist visited her home to do her hair, found deplorable living conditions, and filed a complaint. Not only were the youngest of her brood, the 3-year-old octuplets, dirty and walking around barefoot in only T-shirts, but they were being forced to urinate and defecate in training potties set up in the backyard because the house's plumbing was not working, according to the stylist named Stephanie (who will not release her last name). Stephanie also took photographs, which have been obtained by TMZ, and claims that while she was giving Suleman a Brazilian blowout and haircut on April 18, the children were locked in a bedroom. In one photo Stephanie took, the mother-of-14 is shown happily flaunting her new 'do — for which she paid $520 (that includes two previous haircuts and $80 worth of product), despite the fact she's on welfare — while behind her a chair is wedged underneath a doorknob, as if it to keep the occupants inside.

Stephanie went to police to report the squalor she witnessed, which she says was difficult for her because she's a longtime friend of Suleman's, but she feels so terribly for the children. "The kids are in desperate need of help, and I tried to help and she's not open to anyone helping her," she told TMZ as she left the El Habra police station. "She thinks everything is fine with the kids, and it's not." When asked by the cameraman what exactly was wrong, she continued, "The kids don't wear clothes. I went over there yesterday and they're not wearing any pants. And they're outside in the freezing cold, it was 60 degrees, and they're shivering and she wouldn't let them come inside until they finished eating their dinner. It's just horrible."

One photo shows Suleman's kids dirty and in only t-shirts, as graffiti covers the backyard fence. (TMZ.com)

In other photos Stephanie took inside the Suleman home — which has been desecrated with spray-painted graffiti, presumably by her older children — one room has tiny mattresses on the floor with no sheets or blankets, as well as two cribs. The kids, says Stephanie, "are sleeping on the floor. I offered her bunk beds. I said, 'We have bunk beds, you can take them.' She said, 'No, no I don't want them. We're ok right now. Everything's fine.' It's not fine! It's depressing, I want to cry."

On Tuesday night, three reps from Child Protective Services along with a police officer went to the Suleman home to investigate Stephanie's claims. In a video, children can be heard as the group repeatedly bangs on the front door until Suleman, 36, finally lets them in. Before the video cuts off, she can be heard telling them, "Excuse the graffiti." After an hour-and-a-half, CPS left after determining the children were not in immediate danger, but a spokesperson did tell TMZ the investigation is ongoing and there will be a follow-up visit to the Suleman home.

"I love those kids, but they're being neglected completely," says Stephanie. "[Suleman] needs help, she can't do this by herself. There's too many kids and they're not getting the help that they need. They're not getting attention, they're not even wearing clothes. The boys have girls' clothes on! I go over there and cut the kids' hair for free because you can't tell which ones are boys and which ones are girls, they all look the same!"

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/octomom-investigated-cps-complaints-her-home-no-plumbing-180648499.html

planning a wedding

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That's because "mom" is a nut. I wish they had decent family to take them in.

kryptomom
by Bronze sister on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I am no fan of octomom.  But the picture is not incriminating.  The kids look healthy, well groomed, and obviously fed.  There's clutter, but big deal.

If her plumbing wasn't working, CPS would have intervened immediately. 

I doubt the kids are getting the care they should, but not deplorable.

MissTLC
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM

This is a good debate.  Do we have any social services workers on here to help us understand when enough is enough? Cuz that's what I'd like to know.  What are the conditions that a child would be removed from the home? Does it vary from state to state? And why is it that the average person such as myself would believe that a child should be removed under certain conditions and not others?

VTHaven
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Being a foster/adopt mother I can tell you that it takes a LOT to remove children from the natural parents. Dirty is not a reason to pull a child. The home does need to have working facilities but my guess is if she is on welfare...she must get some sort of state housing fund as well and this would mean that there is an inspection of the home done to ensure the safety of the children.

I am NOT a fan of this woman at all...but I have to give her credit for wanting to attempt to raise all 14 on her own. I just wished she knew how much easier life could be with some support and how much better off her children would be if there were more eyes and hands on to help in raising them.

I feel for the children here...but honestly...as long as they are fed...and when they are out in public are well groomed and clean...CPS is NOT going to take them. In your own home you are allowed to run around half dressed and dirty. If there is no claim of physical abuse (seen through marks on a child) all other forms including neglect are too hard for the state to prove and they won't even attempt to remove a child based on those claims unless the children themselves can articulate the abuse. It's really just a sad situation.

hopealways4019
by Bronze sister on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I wonder how many people is helping, her on a daily basis? Im raising 5 on my own, no its not a walk in the park! 14! I hope she gets all the helping hands, she can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by MB on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I've seen her interviewed on TV and she refuses to have help from nannies or baby sitters.  She does not want anyone raising her babies!

Quoting hopealways4019:

I wonder how many people is helping, her on a daily basis? Im raising 5 on my own, no its not a walk in the park! 14! I hope she gets all the helping hands, she can.

hopealways4019
by Bronze sister on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Well, she needs to stop being stubborn, and let someone, help her with all those kids.

Quoting MB13:

I've seen her interviewed on TV and she refuses to have help from nannies or baby sitters.  She does not want anyone raising her babies!

Quoting hopealways4019:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by MB on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree!  Even daycare workers are not allowed to supervise that many children without an aide or helper.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Well, she needs to stop being stubborn, and let someone, help her with all those kids.

Quoting MB13:

Quoting hopealways4019:

gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze sister on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I couldn't get the link to "make it clickable" but if you can get to the original story, and click on the link for photographs there are more and it is sad and rough, u can see the graffiti on the door and the chair holding a door closed

Quoting kryptomom:

I am no fan of octomom.  But the picture is not incriminating.  The kids look healthy, well groomed, and obviously fed.  There's clutter, but big deal.

planning a wedding

gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze sister on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Quoting kryptomom:

I'm not a fan of her either, and it says she also has 3 yr old triplets. so she's had MORE kids since the 8 she had earlier? I can see where child care would kill her working,

but as far as the "plumbing" issue that is all up to each state, our state, as long as the house has running water, and it doesn't even have to be hot water, & there is a roof over their heads, (I know a terrible condition where they even had cardboard over broken windows in the winter, but it didn't matter!)As stated in this article, they were in no immediate threat, the family was given a specific time to get it together, before the next visit

planning a wedding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)