Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online schools, do you find something fishy about them?????

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 111 Total Views

I attend an online university... Ashford university

One thing that I find odd about this school and it may just be me, but I wrote two papers for two different classes, and the teachers both corrected them and said to me what was wrong with the way in which I wrote them, so I was graded, and then I requested that I have the chance to do the paper over again, one teacher replied that she would over view the paper but the grade stood which was a zero, the other teacher said that she wouldn't give me the opportunity to write it over... and again the grade stood which wasn't a zero, however because I feel like it is a learning environment, I should have been able to learn from my mistakes and had the chance to do it again...

I dont know of any university professor that doesn't give the student a chance to do over the work..I have a few family members that attend schools off line and have this opportunity, plus another family member who goes to a college and has one online class... so it has me to thinking..

now I know each person has a different story about schools and all but I am saying from my experience and my daughters, something isn't right.. I called today and spoke to the advisor about dropping out of the program because I found another school to attend, one in which I can attend personally, the advisor didn't even care, she just said, let her know when I am ready...point blank.. I was like WOW... What a college

so my advise would be dont attend Ashford or Caplan I did my research late in the game, that should have been first and the reviews I am getting has me shaking my head.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I have a few friends that teach online classes, they are English teachers and I know for a fact they have a different set of standards for their online students than the ones they actually make contact with.

I also have friends who have had great results with online because it fit into their lifestyle. Some subjects I do better at online, others I prefer a hand's on approach. I like a mix.

momandher8
by Bronze sister on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I noticed online teaching isn't the same.. going to school online doesn't tie you to a chair in a classroom but I would rather sit in a classroom after this experience.

Quoting rosebud727:

I have a few friends that teach online classes, they are English teachers and I know for a fact they have a different set of standards for their online students than the ones they actually make contact with.

I also have friends who have had great results with online because it fit into their lifestyle. Some subjects I do better at online, others I prefer a hand's on approach. I like a mix.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 1, 2012 at 5:34 AM

go to school on line and found it to be beneficial to me. I have never had a problem and if my instructors didn't like a paper of mine they let me know, but they did corrections in the margins so I would know. We have to have every paper APA and mine are. I got a book to show me how to make the perfect paper and presentations and so far it hasn't let me down.

I was told that mainly your answers to each paper is based on opinion but it is also based on what you are studying, I am studying Psychology and I cant go in and write a paper about Mary and her little lamb but I can psychoanalyze why she has this need to take this lamb everywhere she went. My education is just as good as a walk in school and I have had several job offers based on the school as well as walk in colleges wanting me to attend them based on my grades and the education I am recieving. I also have an advisor call me every 5 weeks to check on me and see if I have any questions.

In my opinion on line learning is harder because if we have a question we have to wait for the instructor to get on line and answer it. BUT at the same time I can sit in my PJ and go to class and not have to worry about driving there or wasting gas.

I dont go to anyone of the colleges you stated either.. Hope you find one that suits you..

VTHaven
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I've never done an online course but have researched a LOT about doing so. I do believe in the beginning of your courses a class teacher/professor will outline their expectations to you. Was it ever said that what you submit would be the final grade? No do-overs? I think...but don't know...that most of the time, they will not allow you to do over...simply because the classes move along and they can't wait for anyone to catch up. It's not a learn as you go sort of deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)