Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

graduation party problem- need advice

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 124 Total Views

Not sure where to post this but I would love some input and advice from all you ladies...my cousin is graduating college and having a grad party at a restaurant.  She is my first cousin...(im 43 and she is 22)...anyway, my family is me, my husband and 3 sons ages 21, 16, 11.  I responded to the party yesterday that we will all be there except my husband because he is working.  I got response back from my aunt that the party is for adults only and that my oldest son is welcome to come with me in place of my husband.  A little quick background...my uncle and I are 6 years apart...its my dads brother- dad is oldest in his family and my uncle is the youngest...my oldest son is good friends with my cousin (the one graduating )since they are the same age, and work in the same place.  Also, I LIVE 3 houses away from my aunt and uncle.  My middle son is the same age as my other cousin and they are close friends.  I understand that maybe they have to keep the list small.  I understand that even though I am the first cousin my kids are the second cousins...however the first cousins are all invited and some of them are under the age of 10 so I dont understand how I can be told this is an adult only party and my kids cant come????  I dont remember if the invitation envelope said Mr and Mrs or Family on it, but to be honest I would have questioned if it only said Mr. and Mrs....now I dont even want to go cause Im annoyed.  Am I wrong?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
suzi960
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

well in my opinion your not wrong..if its an adult party,then thats all that should be there..regardless ...i would be annoyed at this as well.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on May. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I think I would be annoyed also...it's either an "adult" party or not, no matter what generation you are.

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on May. 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Aunt basically is telling you the invite was for 2 people. I would respect that since they are having it at a restaurant and paying the bill.

kryptomom
by Bronze sister on May. 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Do your kids even want to go?  If not, let it slide.  If they do, you can choose not to go.  It's up to you.

We run into this sometimes, but I don't get too concerned about it.  Based on your info, it does sound kind of personal, but it looks like there are a lot of factors here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)