Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Cinco de Mayo!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

I LOVE CINCO DE MAYO! I love everything about it! The fiestas, the music, the latinos! And then the siestas!  I love the history, the romance, and the artwork.  I would love to know what you know about Cinco de Mayo and anything related to mexican history, parties, favorite movies, songs, stories, etc!!!

Lay it on me ladies!!!

by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvsherboyz
by Silver sister on May. 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM

My son's dad (who is rarely in his life) is 100% Mexican. So... I have come to learn some things about this celebration out of need more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I love a good party and good Mexican food! Glad it falls on a weekend this year! Whoo hoo!

I use to think it was about the Mexican independence, kind of like our 4th of July. But... have read and learned that:

May 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Contrary to what many believe, Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) is not a celebration of Mexican independence. In fact, it's a commemoration of the Battle of the Puebla, where Mexican forces soundly defeated a much larger French battalion in 1861.

My son is loving referred to as my "little miracle beaner baby" I had him when I was 41. He was born with a rare heart defect diagnosed as "truncus arteriosus". He has to date, had 2 open heart surgeries and a few surgical interventions. You wouldn't know it to look at him. Praise and Glory all to God!!!! See for yourself!!!!

MissTLC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Quoting luvsherboyz:

My son's dad (who is rarely in his life) is 100% Mexican. So... I have come to learn some things about this celebration out of need more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I love a good party and good Mexican food! Glad it falls on a weekend this year! Whoo hoo!

I use to think it was about the Mexican independence, kind of like our 4th of July. But... have read and learned that:

May 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Contrary to what many believe, Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) is not a celebration of Mexican independence. In fact, it's a commemoration of the Battle of the Puebla, where Mexican forces soundly defeated a much larger French battalion in 1861.

My son is loving referred to as my "little miracle beaner baby" I had him when I was 41. He was born with a rare heart defect diagnosed as "truncus arteriosus". He has to date, had 2 open heart surgeries and a few surgical interventions. You wouldn't know it to look at him. Praise and Glory all to God!!!! See for yourself!!!!

That is very good explanation of Cinco de Mayo!  Your son is a cutie, is he in boy scouts?  He looks pretty happy!

luvsherboyz
by Silver sister on May. 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

That pic was from last year when he was in the boy scouts. He wasn't interested in it this year. Thanks for the comments!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM
My twins and most grandchildren are mexican and we try to celebrate it each year. The food and celebration is great!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VTHaven
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:49 AM

I am a northern gal...I know NOTHING about Cinco De Mayo...so thank you for this explanation!

39holding519
by Bronze sister on May. 2, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I won tickets to Lady Antebellum plus a Limo & Dinner and it is on CInco De Mayo!!!  I'm so excited!  We are going to have some Margaritas in the limo to celebrate :)

LFosterfarm
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I live in NM, cinco de mayo is a big deal here!  plus I have 2 daughters that are 100% mexican as well.  personally it does nothing for me, it's just another excuse to get drunk and party!  I will be doing a fundraiser on Saturday anyway.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Well, I live in TX have no family that are Mexican as we are all from up north (pa) or outta the country as in Scotland LOL... I do have friends that are and do like to party it up but normally it's just another day for me...laundry day...

Seriously868
by Bronze sister on May. 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM
It's my wedding anniversary :-) 11 years Saturday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hk2kids
by Sister on May. 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I only know that the US tends to celebrate Cinco de Mayo more than Mexico.

I'm celebrating this year at a really nice local restaurant.  Their food is great and unusual for this area.  (Our regular places are cheap &/or chains where portion size is more important than taste.)  It should be a big party because it will be right after college graduation and this is where the faculty are planning to go to blow off the steam.  It will be like a cookout at a friends house.  I can't wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)