Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Are your wages keeping pace?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 195 Total Views
1 mom liked this

According to a story I just saw on the morning news, the average CEO annually earns more than $11 MILLION DOLLARS in wages, stock & other compensation. That is 725% increase between 1978 through 2011, while the average worker has increased 5.7% in that time frame. That sure puts the OH! in CEO!! I wonder if Craigslist has a CEO category for job seekers?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

that's outrageous...11 million in 33 years...the CEO's need a SLAP.  And no my wages aren't even close to that %.  Cost of living no change...but things are on the RISE....ugh....11 million that....speechless

39holding519
by Bronze sister on May. 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM

My father is a CEO and earns less than 150,000 annually in total compensation. He works harder than anyone I knpow so I hate hearing that.  I think my earning (before being laid off this week) were ontrack with average. An office manager between $40,000 -55,000 annually...??? I think.

BL2010
by BL on May. 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I wonder what is considered an average CEO and what line of work that is based on. I've worked with many CEO's in the healthcare and they made now where near that kind of money. That's absurd that anyone can make that kind of money while the rest of us have to struggle. In my opinion.

No, I don't think my wages keep up with anything. Food costs, gas, insurance, everything goes up except your pay. If you're luck enough to get a raise it barely covers the increase in the insurance.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM

sidesplittinglaughter my wages keeping up?  Ok lol sorry...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM

This is according to the AFL-CIO who examined the CEO compensation of 299 firms traded on the S&P 500.

Quoting BL2010:

I wonder what is considered an average CEO and what line of work that is based on. I've worked with many CEO's in the healthcare and they made now where near that kind of money. That's absurd that anyone can make that kind of money while the rest of us have to struggle. In my opinion.

No, I don't think my wages keep up with anything. Food costs, gas, insurance, everything goes up except your pay. If you're luck enough to get a raise it barely covers the increase in the insurance. That's the truth in our house.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

11 million was a conservative estimate. Actually, I saw 11.4 million. I guess they didn't figure the 400K was worth mentioning. I'd be happy for that amount.

Quoting maryg38:

that's outrageous...11 million in 33 years...the CEO's need a SLAP.  And no my wages aren't even close to that %.  Cost of living no change...but things are on the RISE....ugh....11 million that....speechless

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Quoting starlight1968:

sidesplittinglaughter my wages keeping up?  Ok lol sorry...

rolling on floorI know, right?

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

The story was a bit misleading. The compensation they were looking at are from large companies traded on the S&P 500. I'm sure there are many out there earning nowhere near that figure. It isn't like these people are curing cancer, or even irreplacable, so their salaries are insane, IMO.

Quoting 39holding519:

My father is a CEO and earns less than 150,000 annually in total compensation. He works harder than anyone I knpow so I hate hearing that.  I think my earning (before being laid off this week) were ontrack with average. An office manager between $40,000 -55,000 annually...??? I think.

kryptomom
by Bronze sister on May. 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The average worker's pay has increased 5.7% in 33 years?  Not likely.

39holding519
by Bronze sister on May. 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Quoting kryptomom:

The average worker's pay has increased 5.7% in 33 years?  Not likely.

And even if it has increased 5.7% in 33 years, that's terrible!  I'm sure that in no way has kept up with the cost of living, especially with the increases in fuel and food, etc from 33 years ago!  Wow, pretty sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN