Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Problems at work.... should I quit or just grin and bear it?? Thoughts appreciated!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 554 Total Views

OK here's the deal... I have been at the same job for 10 years .. we now have new management and new employees. The past 3 years I have been working full time hours for the same part time pay - I was filling in as the other full timer quit ... when new boss came in -- back to part time..  - which is ok... but the drama at work is  really bringing me down.. I work at a bank... so we should be professional - but some days not so much. language is an issue -- bad language..... then theres the backstabbing, telling of lies...lots of negativity! I would like to quit and find something else.... here's my problem -- we live about 20miles from the nearest town that would have any job opportunities .. now I live only about 4 blocks from work... we live in a very small town with a bank, post office, bar, cafe and 2 churches -- so there is no job market here. I guess I am just venting about work and hoping to get a little feedback..I am new to Cafe Mom  -- and just looking for what other people think.

thanks for taking the time to read this!

rock n roll

by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzi960
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM

WELCOME  to 40ish momma, sorry work is crappy right now for you..are you willing to travel into town though???

luvsherboyz
by Silver sister on May. 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Do NOT quit!!!! The job market is horrible. Perhaps a raise would be nice! OMG! After 10 years!!!! And remember the price of gas to commute! This too shall pass. Hang in there and welcome!

luvsherboyz
by Silver sister on May. 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Oh, and if it's just too much to handle... ALWAYS have a job before you leave a job!!!!!

MB13
by MB on May. 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree! Do not quit without having another job, but you can certainly start looking!!!!

feverswife
by Sister on May. 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! as far as commuting goes - I would have to make as much as or more than I currently am  just to pay for gas... and I dont think that would happen.... :(   the jobs that are open start at mimimum wage -- I think I would need more than that to make what I currently earn ....rats -- guess I am stuck unless win the lottery or publishers clearing house!  ha ha

Tikismom
by sister of the year on May. 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to 40'ish and Beyond.If I were in your shoes I would just go to work,mind my own business and do my job and leave when my workday is over.I didn't like to be involved in workplace drama when I was working either.If you really want to leave send out some resumes but,don't quit before you have something else.Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 3, 2012 at 10:50 PM

welcome!  I've learned over the past few years that you need a job to get another job... don't quit yet but apply apply apply anywhere you think you can.

VTHaven
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Welcome to 40ish dear. I too live in a very small town with a couple gas stations...a few churches...2 banks...and a few local stores. It's HARD to find employment here and most people travel to bigger places which are all about an hour away.

I agree with not quiting. I think it would make things much harder on you. I can sympathize with your position and know it's far from pleasant. Is there any way you can go to your new manager about your concerns? I'm not saying to rat out those around you...but it sounds like something needs to change and you could be the resource for that...make it happen girl!

valkay
by faithful sister on May. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

As much as I hate to say it the grass in not always greener on the other side of the fence.  My mom's favorite one when you put a bunch of women together there is always at least one cat fight.. Mine fav is it might be not ideal but the unknown might be unbearable.

Who is to say if you go elsewhere you will not end up with the same problems or worse.

Welcome to the group.

angelhart3
by Sister on May. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Grin and bare it for now...its close by. If you're willing to buy the gas to go further then put applications out...you probably have a good reference for the 10 yrs you've already been there just don't "quit". Weigh your options with money, time, and kids if you have any. Best wishes!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)