Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

She is coming home to a different person.

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 266 Total Views
2 moms liked this

My dd of 19 will be home on tues. from her first year away at college.  We have had some ups and downs and have come through the other side. FINALLY!!  But it has changed me. I have told my child every thing I have inside, she knows how I feel about everything, and I have not much left to say.  But I am always here and always will be.  You don't stop being mom just because of their age. However, it is time she starts to really act like an adult. Yes, this is my house and these are my rules, but an adult child can still be a responsible member of the family and have fun too.  Hell I did, so did dh. I don't really know how this summer will go, and am alittle worried, to be honest.  But I do know that she isn't the only one who has changed. I hope it is for the better.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My adult children have a rule their house their rules and my house my rules. It's a respect thing and even when my adult children lived at home they respected my rules. Good luck let us know how it goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on May. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck to you all! Try to keep an open mind, maybe she has changed. You'll know after a few days home, I suspect!

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Yep, I moved back with my mom after my first marriage and shared in the costs and followed their rules.  And, our oldest knows she will have to do the same if she ever came home...

hugs hope all goes well!

lucky2Beeme
by Silver sister on May. 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Momma its time to be 3 adults living together. The house rules should now be about respect NOT you telling her what to do so much. Once my ons went to college and came home for summer our rules were very few and very simple. Keep the common areas of the house clean,If you use something put it away, If you wont be home for dinner call and let us know or leave a note. If you arent coming home at night please call by 10pm. That way we can lock up and go to bed.

VTHaven
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Sounds like some new territory for all. I wish you all well...I think it will work out just fine.

MissTLC
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Oh boy. Good luck and let us know how it's going!

JoshRachelsMAMA
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Just try to remember that she's an adult now, and treat her that way. (they never stop being our babies).

Quoting wallmom1:

My dd of 19 will be home on tues. from her first year away at college.  We have had some ups and downs and have come through the other side. FINALLY!!  But it has changed me. I have told my child every thing I have inside, she knows how I feel about everything, and I have not much left to say.  But I am always here and always will be.  You don't stop being mom just because of their age. However, it is time she starts to really act like an adult. Yes, this is my house and these are my rules, but an adult child can still be a responsible member of the family and have fun too.  Hell I did, so did dh. I don't really know how this summer will go, and am alittle worried, to be honest.  But I do know that she isn't the only one who has changed. I hope it is for the better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brighteyes112
by Sweet Thang on May. 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I hope all goes well! Good Luck =)

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on May. 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

My youngest comes home from college in 9 days. I can't wait. She was offered her old job back for the summer. She is looking forward to having some money of her own!

Good luck with your daughter!

LFosterfarm
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

my main thing is respect, respect your self, respect your parents, and siblings and respect the way this household runs!!!  i'm not your maid, your baby sitter, or taxi driver!  I wish you luck and I'm sure things will be fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)