Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Fair warning for my 40ish friends...

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 425 Total Views

I know we all think our bodies will last forever, I sure did.  But here'a thought... they don't.  I admit I'm overweight, and I did a lot of physical labor while raising my kids so some parts are going to wear out faster.  However, I never thought, even once, about knee replacement.  Now, having gone through this with both knees, I'd like to warn everyone about the joys (not) of having to have this done.

When we hit our mid '40's we notice the knees are a bit stiff in the mornings, or after sitting for a while.  No problem, take an ibuprofen.  That release from the stiffness will not work forever, and sooner or later you're going to realise, like I did while standing in the shower sobbing because of the pain, this has to be fixed.  So you toddle off to see a ortho surgeon.  By the time I had had enough, I was bone on bone in both knees, yeah, that bad.

When I had the surgery, I thought i was pretty tough... I worked in a max prsion for 20 years, and have had my nose broken, my eye socket shattered, broken fingers &sprained wrists and ankles, so I wasn't afraid of pain.  But I can honestly say, there is no words to describe the first two weeks of knee replacement.  I did one knee at a time. Pain???  Oh honey, I hated taking pills for pain, but it was the only release.  The pills don't help the pain as much as help you ignore it.  The physical therapy will make you cry, I sure did, but in the end it's worth it.  After two weeks, you actually 'turn the corner', the pain begins to calm and you can see where you're getting better.  After 6-8 weeks, you can actually walk without pain. 

Fair warning, I had complications 3 1/2 years after the first surgeries, and have had both knees repaired at once because the dr thought I had an infection, which as it turns out, I do not.  I'm still hooked up on IV therapy and heavy duty antibiotics.  No idea why, dr says it's 'protocol'.  It sucks.  First two weeks, strict bed rest, which was fun for the first two days, then it sucks.  My ceiling needs repainting, lol.  Walking is coming along, but seriously hurts like you can't imagine.  Pain meds discontinued after two weeks (bastard), ibuprofen (which really doesn't help), and staring at TV for hours... I hate HLN, and I loved it before.

Sorry for the long post, but my friends, you helped me keep my sanity when all I can do is cry, made me laugh and let me know life is going on.  Thank you.

by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomsTaxiAndATM
by 40ish Angel on May. 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Holy.... moly!!!!!!!!!!! Bless your heart!! My dd`s boyfriend is having knee surgery this Thurs. He tore his meniscus.......... in football. Hoping he heals well because his dream is to play NFL............ ((hugs)) to you......... another reason I need to lose weight! I know this extra weight cant be helping them any! So glad you are here with us and that we help you keep your sanity! I know exactly what you mean!

suzi960
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

((hugs)))  to you momma, youve been through alot..praying you get some relief soon......

mustbeGRACE
by Bronze sister on May. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts are with you.

Wishing you soon all the pain-free freedom you deserve!    (  :

39holding519
by Bronze sister on May. 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thank you for sharing.  It's important that we are all aware and prepared for the limitations of our bodies as we get older.  & most importantly do everything we can do minimize the problems that can occur by maintaining a healthy weight, exercise, etc.  Still these things are often inevitable and it's helpful to find people you can share with and look to for support and understanding.  I pray things improve for you soon, take care of yourself!  ((more HUGS))

redlady125
by Silver sister on May. 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

OH MY I HOPE U R FEELING A LITTLE BETTER, I NO U NEED SOME HARD MED , BUT, THINGS WILLWORKOUT .hugs

LFosterfarm
by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM

both my grandparents had knee replacement, son has had surgery for repair, and yes I have procrastinated for 30 some years.  oddly it's my hips that hurt worse than my bad knee, go figure!  and when we are in pain we are just not ourselves are we?  I do hope you get to feeling better soon, will send good thoughts and prayers your way for a speedy recovery!!!  (((hugs)))

LilyofPhilly
by Bronze sister on May. 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Aw crap, you're scaring me!

reese89
by Sister on May. 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

You are definately in my prayers!  I'm going thru knee problems as I type.  I really do hope that you will start to feel better soon.

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on May. 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

HUGS

looneymom424
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Hugs to you unfortunately its not my Knees that are going out it is my ankle My ortho told me I will need one by the time they perfect them they havent perfected them yet this worries me it hurts all the time.

Hugs hopefully they can give you some release from the pain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)