Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Organic eggs.

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 191 Total Views
I always thought they were brown. I guess that's how I've bought them!

So, now we have 12 chickens. Ok, I did not know that brown chickens lay brown eggs, and white chickens lay white ones. the ones with the purple feet lay purple ones...

just had to share. Apparently I knew nothing about chickens!
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brighteyes112
by Sweet Thang on May. 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Hmmm...never knew that either!

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM
I didn't know that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juanita679
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM
bump

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I knew nothing about them either till dh...he's grandpa had a farm so he's full of weird info lol..

keljo05
by Kelly on May. 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

lol... purple eggs? now that I've never seen, lol

LFosterfarm
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM

we have had a wide array of chickens and I have yet to ever have white eggs.  always a combination of everything else, but never white! lol

LFosterfarm
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I should add the ducks and geese lay white eggs!

emu's lay eggs that look like avacado's they're pretty cool lookin'!

Ziva65
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Quoting LFosterfarm:

we have had a wide array of chickens and I have yet to ever have white eggs.  always a combination of everything else, but never white! lol

What color are your chickens? :) just curious, maybe it's just mine! the other funny thing is that the brown eggs have a richer colored yoke.

We compared all three, a white store egg, our white egg, and our brown egg... the white store egg was the palest, our chicke's white egg was a little more richer yellow in the middle, and the brown egg was the richest. I need to compare a store bought brown egg to one of our brown eggs. It's very interesting....

I think I've only seen an Emu egg in a zoo. That's pretty cool.

obx_Mom
by ~>*<~0bX~HoU$eWiFe~> on May. 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM

LOL! I always get a kick out of the whole "organic" thing. My husband worked at a diary processing plant and he said the only difference in the organic milk and regular milk was the organic milk went around the block an extra trip while they did the paper work to recieve it. Otherwise, it was the same as the "non organic" milk. 

LFosterfarm
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM

the brown egg from the store still doesn't have that rich yolk like homegrown does.  we have had brown, red, grey, white, the araucana's were the funnest eggs as they come in pink, blue, tan, green, never had purple, all shades in between, and the only "chicken" that ever laid a white egg was our turken, she was so ugly she was cute!  and I don't know about you but I have found homegrown are harder to peel when making hard boiled eggs compared to store bought?

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting LFosterfarm:

What color are your chickens? :) just curious, maybe it's just mine! the other funny thing is that the brown eggs have a richer colored yoke.

We compared all three, a white store egg, our white egg, and our brown egg... the white store egg was the palest, our chicke's white egg was a little more richer yellow in the middle, and the brown egg was the richest. I need to compare a store bought brown egg to one of our brown eggs. It's very interesting....

I think I've only seen an Emu egg in a zoo. That's pretty cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)