Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Any Dog Experts Here? I'm at my wits end!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM
  • 42 Replies
  • 612 Total Views

My adorable but high energy (who does not use her powers for good to put it mildly) Boston Terrier puppy struck again. While I was in the shower and my DD was sleeping, Tess went into Han's room and worked on the wear spot in her carpet, destroying a large swath. This is her second time tearing up carpeting. The last time was when Han shut the dogs in a room and Tessie's instinct was to try and "dig" their way out. I can't afford nor emotionally handle this destruction. ANY IDEAS?!! I'm losing it!!

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IheartTea
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you tried crate training?  It's not to be used as a cage or punishment.  You get a crate & make it a pleasant space for the dog with toys, treats, etc.  It shouldn't be used as an all day every day kind of space either.  But if you need to go out, or take a shower, it's a safe place for your dog to be without causing more mayhem.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Have you tried leaving a radio/tv on?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyingMommy747
by Bronze sister on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We lock our dogs in the kitchen when we leave, there isn't anything they can destroy in there.  You also might want to try Bitter Apple on anything she chews, our dogs really responded well to it.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I do crate both of my dogs. I had let them out after sleeping in their crates all night. I was only in the shower 10 minutes : ((

Here's what they did in that short time:

Quoting IheartTea:

Have you tried crate training?  It's not to be used as a cage or punishment.  You get a crate & make it a pleasant space for the dog with toys, treats, etc.  It shouldn't be used as an all day every day kind of space either.  But if you need to go out, or take a shower, it's a safe place for your dog to be without causing more mayhem.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I never know what she will chew next. It's random; last winter she went after my wood pile outside. This spring she's prone to pulling up raspberry canes and chewing them up on the porch. She's even taken my garden rake. I'm stunned at the extent of her destructive nature. But look at this face!

I love her and want to keep her. I just want her to be a good dog. I can't afford to have her destroy everything.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

We lock our dogs in the kitchen when we leave, there isn't anything they can destroy in there.  You also might want to try Bitter Apple on anything she chews, our dogs really responded well to it.

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I would crate the dog when I was in the shower. What's under the flooring? My son's Cairn terrier did the same thing and when they went to replace the carpet, they found a bees nest under the floor. The dog was trying to get at it.

starlight1968
/ღ˚ •。* ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* ° ˚ • ★MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL*˚ .ღ 。° 。* ° ˚ • ★ *˚ . /
Wednesday at 11:54 PM
by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

ah, jack russells do that digging too...Pickles doesn't have a yard to do it in so she does in on the carpet...  We have a spray-bottle of soapy water (it tastes nasty to her when she licks the spot we get on her) that we zap her with when she does this.  Also, she has her own blanket and pillow w/pillow case that we put her on and tell her "do it here".  We do it every time we catch her...spray, "no no", "do it here" and she's getting better at it.

The say Terriers have a natural instinct to dig especially when frustrated... we got our other JRT to stop doing this by doing the same to her...

I also agree with the kennel (cage) thing.  We put Pickles in it when we go to bed, have to take a shower and no one is available to watch her or if we go somewhere (right now it's short trips as living in an apt. she may get to loud etc.).

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

OMG I hope not!! It's my upstairs carpeting. Cats from the previous owners chewed the edges, so she's been working at widening the wear spots : (

Quoting kaarina:

I would crate the dog when I was in the shower. What's under the flooring? My son's Cairn terrier did the same thing and when they went to replace the carpet, they found a bees nest under the floor. The dog was trying to get at it.

jbyrd898
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

some dogs need to be in their crates no matter how long you are going to be gone, one of my dogs is that way. It's sad but just the way it is. She tears up every pillow in the house if we leave her out even to run downstairs. She either has to be in the yard, or in the crate if we are doing anything where we can't see her. I think she has seperation anxiety.

IheartTea
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry that you're having problems with you dog.  Some dogs just have a high energy level & you can't expect them to suddenly turn into a dog that's a couch potato.  Bostons are one of those breeds that need a lot of exercise & input.  If you leave them to their own devices, they will find trouble.  Obviously, if you cannot supervise the dog while you're in the shower, crate the dog.  Let the dog out for a potty break just before you put it back in the crate.  You'll have peace of mind, & the dog won't tear up your house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN