Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

should I have handled it different (update)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM
  • 25 Replies
  • 465 Total Views

so I work retail. a mom came in with a child that was throwing a fit. she swatted him not a big deal. until she kept beating this poor child. she swatted him at least 16 swats 5 times on the leg. he was about 5ish and you could tell he had some developmental problems by looking at him. My redneck kicked in and it took everything i had not to jump her ass or beat  her ass down.  but I garantee if I had of been somewhere other than work the fight would have been on. That just totally pisses me off to see any kid treated that way. being at work was I right to stay out of it or should I have said something and put my job on the line? I actually had to leave the building so I didn't walk up and punch her effing lights out. and every customer in the store knew I was pissed they could see it on my face. so did I do right or wrong?

edit it ws the kids grandma not mom and I found out today she is a regular customer so I am going to kill her with kindness find out her name and where she lives and turn her into the cps. handled discretely.

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VTHaven
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:30 AM
4 moms liked this

I think I would have said something...but that is just me. I think you could do it in a non-aggressive way (more like a distraction) than an intervention. I do realize your fists were up and you wanted to do something, but a polite acknowledgement like, "It's so hard to shop with kids sometimes isn't it? They want everything and have arms like an octopus!" Then I would direct my attention to the child and say to him..."So how are you doing today little one? You helping mommy by being a good boy?" Often distraction works wonders. Also making a POSITIVE comment about the child often makes the Mom stop (who may be overly stressed and worked up about something totally non-related to the child) and realize that her child is of importance. This certainly wouldn't put your job in jeapardy...nor make the Mom feel like you are judging her and she would be happy to come back. 

If all else fail though....I say BEAT HER BEHIND and show her what it feels like!  

GOBryan
by Bronze sister on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

There are diplomatic ways of intervening but as someone said, a distraction can be less confrontational and warrant a similar effect. 

firelites
by Anne on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to work for Wal-Mart, when this type of issue came up I would call for code check on the department she was in and let management/loss prevention intervene

blondie805
by Sister on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have gotten a manager. In fact, I have. Let him call the police and let the chips fall where they may.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have called management and let them call who ever needed to be called. Sorry but if this woman is openly beating her child in public she is damn well beating the child worse at home.
Me I would have whipped out my phone video taped it and called 911 and had her arrested ( video tape it for proof).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM
The reason I put two different things I would do is the worker in me would have gotten management but the mother in me would have made sure the child had justice and a peaceful moment without being beaten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I am the management. so back to the issue and I am not a very diplomatic person I am very blunt and opinionated. I tell it straight like it is and could care less if it makes you mad. and the worse part is I am willing to back my mouth physically.

Quoting dana63:

The reason I put two different things I would do is the worker in me would have gotten management but the mother in me would have made sure the child had justice and a peaceful moment without being beaten.

LFosterfarm
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I think I would have had to walk away, none of them pay your bills, your job does, and by the time I am that pissed, I have no diplomacy left in me!  gonna have to let karma catch up to this one, sometimes we have to pick our battles, and obviously this one wasn't yours, and you could walk away.

Del672
by Silver sister on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

If management actually called the police on people like her, maybe...just maybe...CPS would start visiting this woman in her home.  You can just imagine if she was bold enough to do this in public...God only knows what goes on behind her closed doors.

I think you did the right thing opinionatedmom, like LFosterfarm said, you need your job, but I wish the authorities had been called.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

this is me too and my redneck side says screw the mom and take up for the disadvantaged in this case the mom.  that btch needed her ass kicked. I just wanted to take the kid home with me and cuddle him and protect him. but it wasn't my kid.

Quoting LFosterfarm:

I think I would have had to walk away, none of them pay your bills, your job does, and by the time I am that pissed, I have no diplomacy left in me!  gonna have to let karma catch up to this one, sometimes we have to pick our battles, and obviously this one wasn't yours, and you could walk away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)