Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

would love info on Tennessee

Posted by   + Show Post

We will be visiting the Gatlinburg area in August.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see?

Yes, we have googled around and have a list; but it is always nice to get a personal recommendation.

We are athletic and love out door activities.  We dont mind some touristy things but would like to see/do something that is unique to the area.  We are food adventurous and would love restaurant suggestions.

We will be in Gatlinburg for one day with out a car.... then in a cabin near by with a car for the rest of the week.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Replies (51-58):
mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Jul. 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Arrowmont is a school for the arts and crafts, located in Gatlinburg.  Next door you can look at the art and buy handmade arts and crafts at the Arrowcraft store.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM

not nearly as rural as I thought it would be... man it just goes on and on and on!!!!

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Found some video on you tube... This is driving the strip in "fast forward" from Pigeon Forge to Sevierville.

You can't see as well, but it is hotel after hotel with attractions, stores, gokart places etc mixed in...

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

now I am so bummmmmed!

I thought you had to hike to clingmans dome.... but any yahoo can just drive up.... where is the accomplishment in that?!?!  This was one of the things I was MOST looking forward to... HIKING to clingmans dome.

dang dang dang dang

but thanks for the bear info

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Keep those windows closed.... and stay away if this happens to you, unlike some DUMB people who see a need to take photos up close.  (scroll forward to about the 3:10 point in the video)

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I found this link to the smokey mountain trail map.

You will know you are approaching a trail head b/c you will see a lot of cars either in a pull off with spaces or lined up along the side.

There are waterfalls you can hike to. So check those out.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Don't be bummed. You can still hike the applachian trail to clingman's dome... the road run along it somewhere though.... You can park at the Newfoundland Gap parking lot. This lot is located at the TN/NC state line. There is a big sign that you can take a photo in front of.

Quoting sahlady:

now I am so bummmmmed!

I thought you had to hike to clingmans dome.... but any yahoo can just drive up.... where is the accomplishment in that?!?!  This was one of the things I was MOST looking forward to... HIKING to clingmans dome.

dang dang dang dang

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

If you want to drive to Cades Cove, either drive through the park or through Wears Valley. Once you get out of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg then you are definitely rural.

In the towns like Townsend and Crosby and such, there really isn't a lot there. Much more remote.

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I know you are not camping, but for those you like to camp and are reading this, the KOA in Pigeon Forge was very central and well maintained, though the staff could have been friendlier. RV and Camper sites were wide enough and lots of pull thrus. Camping with electric and water was along the outside near a fence to Patriot Park (which was not a secure fence, just two thick wooden planks, that is easy to crawl through) and along the creek. There are also cabins for rent at the KOA. The bathhouses were neat and clean.

We also checked out the KOA in Townsend and it too is nice, and wooded and along the river where people tube. The staff was very friendly. Next door is another campground called Tremont that was very nice too. I'd like to stay at one of these campgrounds next time. It is only a 25 min drive into Pigeon Forge through Wears Valley.

The National park also has campsites, but they are all primitive. We saw some interesting camp setups with tarps hanging from trees etc. It is camping at its finest, with the only luxuries being what you bring along yourself.

mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

So? How was it? What did you end up doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN