Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Are you content with your life?

Posted by   + Show Post

I get off at 4 and it seems like all there is to do is cook supper, laundry, and tv until the next morning then do it all over. I dread going home from work because there's nothing to do but chores and nothing going on to talk about with my husband, and the teens don't even try to talk! What do you all do on a typical weeknight evening if you don't have young kids?

I know all the hobby choices, I've invested in enough paraphrenalia piled in my closet for hobbies that I could have a great sale! How do you find contentment in the pace of everyday life? How do teenagers enjoy laying in their rooms in the summer and just eating and breathing! How do the jobless people in my neighborhood just sit on the front porch and smoke and watch people drive by for hours?  Arrrggghh... I guess this turned into a vent!!

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (41-47):
ROBIN-C
by Sister on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

play a board or card game during or after supper! i dont think supper needs to be a serious "lets sit here and use our manners and have proper discussions" event at home.... whatever it takes to get the family together and enjoy it!

lauriebash
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I occasionally have a dull day, but for the most part, it isn't bad. We own 2 businesses, and I help with them from home. The plumbing business has me on the phone a lot throughout the day. I talk to some interesting people sometimes.

The bike shop is right beside our house, so sometimes, especially this time of year, it gets a little crazy. I rarely have to work out there. Just sometimes help my hubby if the bike mechanic is off for the day. Our son picks up quite a few hours in there, which keeps me a littler more sane.

Other than those things, it's the shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning, dishes and being on here that fills the gaps in the day.

ROBIN-C
by Sister on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

content? almost, something definatly need improvement. better financial position sure would help, lol!

cacountryangel
by Bronze sister on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

i'm content with my simple life as of right now!!! getting to go outside and listen to the frogs and night buds sing during the night like i use to at my grandparents home!!!! to tell my family i love them!!! yelp very blessed and counthing them!!!

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I'm pretty content. Yes, some days I come home and cook and then veg out. But I make the choice to do that. I can go outside or stay inside and exercise, I could call friends, read, work on a hobbie etc. 

I'm in charge of my happiness not my children or my husband. They are always there for me and visa versa. 

kokyuhomama
by Bronze sister on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:19 AM

You sound so busy.  This may sound odd, but it's actually pretty normal for teens to spend a lot of time in their rooms, or wanting to be with friends.  Maybe you could throw everyone for a loop sometime and plan a family activity, like to an amusement park, a river float on tubes, or ask them to come up with some activities that are just for the family, or maybe they can bring a friend, too.  Start a family camping trip once a year, and keep it going each year.   My 11 year old son takes tennis lessons, so we go outside and bat the ball around in the driveway on most nice days.  I have invited him to play some online games that are usually table games (like Set, Words with Friends), and these are great because my younger child can't mess up our table games anymore!  LOL 

I'm not sure this will help, and I see myself posting this exact same information in about four years, so hugs to you. 

BarbaraPassio
by Sister on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I'm not content with my life at all. I have two teenage kids my son lives with his dad his choice since he was 5. My daughter lives with my mom because I couldn't make her go to school or keep her off drugs. I'm married for the second time to a misrable sob that just hollars cusses and screams at me all day. I never had a career so i'm kind of bored. My husband can't keep a job he has been fired two times in three months and hasn't worked a steady job since November when he got laid off. Sorry just wanted to vent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)