Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I'm Sorry - Throwing Myself A Pity Party

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM
  • 46 Replies
  • 958 Total Views

So...I've been a Teaching Assitant for an online university for the past 2 years (since my divorce was final). The hours are long, but it doesn't pay squat. The only good part is I can work from home and be here for my young daughter. I read the bios of the instructors I am assigned to; many of them have the same credentials as I do, a Master's degree in Education. So imagine how much of a blow it was to receive a rejection letter from them today. I applied as an instructor and was turned down. I can't live on what they're currently paying me, and my teaching credential is old (I earned my Master's degree in 2000).  Now because of No Child Left Behind and the money that districts receive for the program, I lack the "highly qualified teacher" status. Add to that my age and the gaps in my resume because my ex husband insisted I be a stay at home mom to our 3 kids, and the end result is no one wants an old, inexperienced certified teacher. I cried my eyes out at this latest rejection from my own employer. I don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up, but I need to figure it out sooner rather than later;  apparently I can cross teacher off the list, despite my advanced degree : ((

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manilowgal
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry! Don't know what else to say. As we all know life isn't fair! (((hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM

((hugs)) I wish I knew what else to say, some words of wisdom or something, but unfortunately I don't ..... soooo here's another ((HUG))

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM

((Thanks!!))

Quoting crazymom729:

((hugs)) I wish I knew what else to say, some words of wisdom or something, but unfortunately I don't ..... soooo here's another ((HUG))

valkay
by faithful sister on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

So could you take a refresher class? or recertify

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It would take a lot of "refresher" courses, and in my town, even in the best of times it was difficult to get an interview, let alone a job. There's an incredible amount of neopotism (in some schools the secretary, coach, teacher, and principal are all related!) , and they're much more inclined to hire young teachers rather than old ones; I'm barking up the wrong tree. I hoped and prayed online teaching was the answer; no one cares that I'm 52, or so I thought. I am delusional. I came very close to getting hired after 3  years of subbing including a long term in a particular school (only one of two interviews I got in three years of trying!)  after I earned my master's degree, but then I got pregnant with my third child and was back to square one.

Quoting valkay:

So could you take a refresher class? or recertify

my2sweetjoys
by Kay on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I will keep you in my prayers and hopefully you can find some more work.I pray that someone gives you a chance to gain some new experience.hugsIs there any day cares centers with a preschool program you can assist at?I really am keeping you in my thoughts-keep us posted and I am sure you will find another job that will perk you up

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

When I was going through my divorce, the only interviews I got were in low-paying private schools hundreds of miles from where I live. My town is a ghost town as far as jobs go, but I bought a house to provide some stability to our young daughter. I figured divorce was enough of a shake-up; relocation would be too much. But I didn't figure it would be this hard to find a real job. I'm earning $1000/5 week course with no benefits. I put in an enormous amount of time, and I net around $800, around $12/student. I grade 60 papers/week, averaging 45 minutes/paper; the bad ones take longer!

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

My master's degree is in literacy, my bachelor's in secondary education. I don't have an ECE degree, and daycares pay minimum. Even Sylvan Learning Center offered me less than $10/hour to resume the job I held before my last daughter was born, a whopping 30 cents more per hour than I was making 10 years ago : ((   They charge parents almost 5 times that!!

Quoting my2sweetjoys:

I will keep you in my prayers and hopefully you can find some more work.I pray that someone gives you a chance to gain some new experience.hugsIs there any day cares centers with a preschool program you can assist at?I really am keeping you in my thoughts-keep us posted and I am sure you will find another job that will perk you up

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry! I know something will open up to you and you will get a great job!! I know I have three other degrees (other than my Psy) and in order for me to use them I would have to take another course as well.. Everything changes and the laws as well.. Hugs~~~

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Dana! I have to admit this has been a bigger blow than I expected. Once upon a time I had a thick skin when it came to rejection letters, but I guess I expected acceptance from my own employer  considering how much I put into my current job *sigh*

Quoting dana63:

I am so sorry! I know something will open up to you and you will get a great job!! I know I have three other degrees (other than my Psy) and in order for me to use them I would have to take another course as well.. Everything changes and the laws as well.. Hugs~~~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)