Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I'm Sorry - Throwing Myself A Pity Party

Posted by   + Show Post

So...I've been a Teaching Assitant for an online university for the past 2 years (since my divorce was final). The hours are long, but it doesn't pay squat. The only good part is I can work from home and be here for my young daughter. I read the bios of the instructors I am assigned to; many of them have the same credentials as I do, a Master's degree in Education. So imagine how much of a blow it was to receive a rejection letter from them today. I applied as an instructor and was turned down. I can't live on what they're currently paying me, and my teaching credential is old (I earned my Master's degree in 2000).  Now because of No Child Left Behind and the money that districts receive for the program, I lack the "highly qualified teacher" status. Add to that my age and the gaps in my resume because my ex husband insisted I be a stay at home mom to our 3 kids, and the end result is no one wants an old, inexperienced certified teacher. I cried my eyes out at this latest rejection from my own employer. I don't know what I'm going to be when I grow up, but I need to figure it out sooner rather than later;  apparently I can cross teacher off the list, despite my advanced degree : ((

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Replies (41-46):
Tennismom360
by Sister on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but which state are you in?

Quoting Dontchawishuknu:

So, go for it!  Or at least look into it....I'm sure there's some way to make it happen!

Quoting wishbearmom:

I'm considering getting certified as a standardized test proctor for homeschoolers. Our state mandates testing, and if it were for a large enough group I'd even be willing to travel some distance (up to 100 miles). I know some proctors charge $100/individual student and rates decrease as the size of the group increases.

Quoting Dontchawishuknu:

How about setting up your own business doing tutoring locally and online?

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

WA

Quoting Tennismom360:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but which state are you in?

Quoting Dontchawishuknu:

So, go for it!  Or at least look into it....I'm sure there's some way to make it happen!

Quoting wishbearmom:

I'm considering getting certified as a standardized test proctor for homeschoolers. Our state mandates testing, and if it were for a large enough group I'd even be willing to travel some distance (up to 100 miles). I know some proctors charge $100/individual student and rates decrease as the size of the group increases.

Quoting Dontchawishuknu:

How about setting up your own business doing tutoring locally and online?

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Hugs I am going through the same thin right now except in healthcare.
LilShamrock
by Sister on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs!!!! You can be anything YOU want to be......please don't give up! Look at other schools, or go back to school!
I've been in school since 2007 in addition to working 2 jobs and raising my lil mushroom....YOU can do it!!

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri-553
by Terri on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry,Don;t give up something will come along it always does

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I am so sorry!

Quoting momto3isme:

Hugs I am going through the same thin right now except in healthcare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)