Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

What woman need to know about heart attacks

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM
  • 35 Replies
  • 901 Total Views
5 moms liked this

I got a email yesterday from Dr Oz and for some reason I open it and read it.. It was about his show yesterday and the 5 signs that woman miss that could be a heart attack.. I even watched the show and was shocked myself on the information we tend to miss due to the fact we are busy woman and we just don't think that it could happen to us.. Oh and I want to add even our daughters could have heart problems (and a heart attack) in their 20's.

1. Fatigue that can't be explain

2. pain in neck, arms and shoulder that won't go away

3. shortness of breath when you walk

4. dizziness that appears when you sit as well

5. indigestion for no reasons and Tums won't help..

Here is an article I found on Dr Oz website. Ladies if you think you are having a heart attack get help. And a woman heart attack will NOT be like one that a man will have.. Know the warning signs my sisters since it is likely that 3 out of 5 woman in their 40's will have a heart attack and 1 will not survive because they didn't know it was a heart attack.

Not One Singular Sensation

Although chest pain is the most common symptom in both men and women, the location of the pain will depend on which part of the heart is affected. It is most often described as a tightness or pressure across the chest. But the pain can feel like something else such as a stomach cramp, indigestion, a headache or pulled muscle. Women are great deniers and are particularly good at dismissing symptoms as normal aches and pains of everyday living. But nothing could be further than the truth.

Here are symptoms of a heart attack that women should never ignore

• Pressure, tightness and squeezing pain across the chest
  • Pain radiating down the arm, shoulders, jaw, neck, and back, particularly on the left side
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness, sweating, weakness, overwhelming fatigue
  • Feeling of impending doom
  • Headache, blurry vision, lightheadedness, feeling faint
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms such as indigestion, nausea and vomiting
  • Coughing and palpitations

An Ounce of Prevention Goes a Long Way

The best protection against coronary artery disease is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Poor diet, lack of exercise and years of bad lifestyle habits takes its toll on the heart. Still heart disease can be prevented if you are willing to stop the assault and adopt a health lifestyle from this day forward.

Here is Dr. Oz's advice for preventing heart attacks

• Learn your risk
  • If you smoke, stop
  • Perform moderate exercise for at least 20 minutes on most days
  • Eat a heart-healthy diet low in saturated fat and high in fruits, vegetables nuts and legumes
  • Maintain a healthy weight and waist
  • Control high blood pressure
  • Manage abnormal cholesterol
  • Control high blood sugar
  • Drink alcohol in moderation
  • Practice stress reduction techniques
  • Maintain a good balance between personal and professional life
  • Be vigilant about taking medications to control risk factors
  • Take one aspirin daily if you are in a high risk category

Come join 40ish and beyond for a Healthier you in 2012 www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Thank you, I'm bookmarking this to keep reminding myself to slow down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kity-bity
by Sister on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Thank you dear for sharing this precious information.
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I think a woman needs to know that it don't matter if you feel you are not at risk that chances are you are at risk..

My mom had stomach pains that she couldn't explain and the Dr kept telling her it was nothing. Well they decided to do a CT Scan on her stomach again just to make sure it was nothing and the tech went around her heart and sure enough my mom had blockage in her heart and had to have open heart surgery. She said that tech saved her life and I agree..

Come join 40ish and beyond for a Healthier you in 2012 www.cafemom.com/group/7446

brighteyes112
by Sweet Thang on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Thank you for sharing!

shadenn766
by Platinum sister on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM

i saw a preview on dr oz

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I like Dr Oz and placed his website is on my Fav list..

Del672
by Silver sister on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I also know for a fact, that there are people out there who believe that if they are active, not overweight..not a smoker, believe heart disease won't likely affect them.  

I think a woman needs to know that it don't matter if you feel you are not at risk that chances are you are at risk..

My mom had stomach pains that she couldn't explain and the Dr kept telling her it was nothing. Well they decided to do a CT Scan on her stomach again just to make sure it was nothing and the tech went around her heart and sure enough my mom had blockage in her heart and had to have open heart surgery. She said that tech saved her life and I agree..

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM
The Tech earned her wings that day

Quoting dana63:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM
The Tech earned her wings that day

Quoting dana63:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)