Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you donate?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM
  • 60 Replies
  • 703 Total Views

I was talking to my mom a few days ago about this and she and I were on the same page and thought I would ask you all..

If a family member (other than your siblings or parents) needed a transplant would you go get tested?

Here is the story; my second cousin is diabetic and they found a tumor on his kidney and had to remove it. I told my mom that if it came down to it and he needed a kidney I would go and be tested.. I know he has brothers and closer relatives but I felt it was the right thing to do.. My mom agreed and said if hers wasn't so bad she would do the same thing..

I know most of you didn't know one of our sisters that passed away last year but Connie's SIL was in a fire and I offered to be tested to give her skin grafts when they were looking for donors (Gladys passed away from her injuries).

Would you be tested if the situations came up?

Come join 40ish and beyond for a Healthier you in 2012 www.cafemom.com/group/7446

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cacountryangel
by Bronze sister on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:58 AM

yelp i would!!!!!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Quoting cacountryangel:

yelp i would!!!!!

I would do it without even thinking about it and hope they would do the same for me...

Come join 40ish and beyond for a Healthier you in 2012 www.cafemom.com/group/7446

yupok
by Bronze sister on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

No, I wouldn't...but I think it's awesome that others are willing to do it. 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting yupok:

I take my example from my aunt who gave her sister a kidney when I was pregnant with my twins (29) years ago and thought it was a great act of kindness. My sister n law has had two transplants one was kidney ( brother) the other was pancreas (unknown donor but we do know the story) and because these acts of kindness I would give back to help because of their help.

I respect those who wouldn't..

winterwoman
by Silver sister on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Yes I would, in a heartbeat. 

yupok
by Bronze sister on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting dana63:

Quoting yupok:

I take my example from my aunt who gave her sister a kidney when I was pregnant with my twins (29) years ago and thought it was a great act of kindness. My sister n law has had two transplants one was kidney ( brother) the other was pancreas (unknown donor but we do know the story) and because these acts of kindness I would give back to help because of their help.

I think that's wonderful..touching.  My father would have done the same, if the anyone needed it.    He was a donor and always gave blood.  I never found out if they used any of his body when he died.  He, like you, respected the fact that I didn't want to donate, lol, but it didn't stop him from asking every time him went to give blood, on the off chance that I'd change my mind. 

terri-553
by Terri on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Yes in a heartbeat

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM
I think I would. My family knows I want my organs donated when I die.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poed0216
by Sister on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Yes I would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Quoting yupok:

Quoting dana63:

Quoting yupok:

I think that's wonderful..touching.  My father would have done the same, if the anyone needed it.    He was a donor and always gave blood.  I never found out if they used any of his body when he died.  He, like you, respected the fact that I didn't want to donate, lol, but it didn't stop him from asking every time him went to give blood, on the off chance that I'd change my mind. 

Before my hub had his heart attack he gave blood for me and my sons and our DD. He would have it stored for if we needed it. We never did but it was nice to know it was there. He was asked to also donate to a stranger when we were at the hospital waiting when my grandma was in ICU and he never thought anything of it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)