Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Anybody know computers? Need help

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 226 Total Views

My girlfriend usually is the one that helps me but she has problems at her home so we haven't had a great deal of contact. That being said, she told me today when we saw each other that the way to fix my computers back up E drive was to go in and erase past backups that Window likes to do. They don't erase themselves even after more than a couple have been done. 

I went into the E drive and it say's system backup images and has a button that I can delete older ones. There are ones there from like 3-4 months ago. I know we had done it before but I could have sworn it looked different. Is this the right one does anyone know?

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cuteoverload
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I LIKE THE RESTORE BUTTON THIS CLICKS BACK TO THE BEGINNING BEFORE YOU HAD DIFFICULTIES. YOU CAN ALSO USE THE AUTOMATIC UPDATE PROGRAM WHICH SAVES A LOT OF TIME.

LFosterfarm
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM
No help here but here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Depends on the OS. 

smile357
by Linda on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I have Windows 7, I remember last time we went into a system backup and there was many old backups. She said that they back them up regularly but don't take out the old ones and they just take up space on your hard drive. She told me only to keep like 2. 

Quoting rosebud727:

Depends on the OS. 

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Are you backing up on a schedule, because it sounds like it

Yes, that would be wise, those older backups will have everything you backed up etc. but to keep all is just a was of HDD space. You should make another backup with a system restore disk as well and delete all you don't want.

After that you can also run a disk check afterward. 

Quoting smile357:

I have Windows 7, I remember last time we went into a system backup and there was many old backups. She said that they back them up regularly but don't take out the old ones and they just take up space on your hard drive. She told me only to keep like 2. 

Quoting rosebud727:

Depends on the OS. 

smile357
by Linda on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

We have discussed this option also. I have another drive that we can put into this one I think. I just asked her actually. But she told me to delete all but the last one.  I took out all but 2 of them. 

I have to clean up things that are on the computer also. Just havent had time. How into computers are you? My friend and me aren't as completly close as we used to be. 

Quoting rosebud727:

Yes, that would be wise, those older backups will have everything you backed up etc. but to keep all is just a was of HDD space. You should make another backup with a system restore disk as well and delete all you don't want.

Quoting smile357:

Quoting rosebud727:

Depends on the OS. 

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I work IT, I repair computers for a living.

Quoting smile357:

We have discussed this option also. I have another drive that we can put into this one I think. I just asked her actually. But she told me to delete all but the last one.  I took out all but 2 of them. 

I have to clean up things that are on the computer also. Just havent had time. How into computers are you? My friend and me aren't as completly close as we used to be. 

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting smile357:

Quoting rosebud727:

Depends on the OS. 

smile357
by Linda on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My friend and you would get along great. Her passion is for computers. She built this one for us. She's always told me that she has a hard time finding good IT people. You really helped thank you.

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting smile357:

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting smile357:

Quoting rosebud727:

Depends on the OS. 

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Your welcome, not sure really how much help I was though.

I don't usually troubleshoot or give advice over the Internet however information I'm sharing here is basic and common, you may already do this. Also, there is a forum here for computer enthusiasts, I personally don't belong to it. I like to leave work at work if you know what I mean.

Here are some other things you can do to clean up your computer.

Go through your application list (Programs) uninstall anything that you do not use ever, such as games or toolbars that installed with updates from support products. Don't delete the Adobe products though. If you are unsure of something leave it alone and google first. I would hate for you to delete something like your graphics card app.

Support products would be items like these for instance;

Java

Adobe Reader

Adobe Flash

Abobe Shockwave 

Adobe Air

Next download and install CCleaner. You can find it at http://www.filehippo.com/

Also make sure you do not download the optional toolbars that it comes with it or the email updater. Just uncheck those items before install. If you do download them accidently just go back and uninstall them.

Run CCleaner and it's registry cleaner. Run the registry cleaner until it comes up clean. It will ask you each time if you want to save the registry cleans, click yes, create a folder on your desktop and save for easy access in case you need to reinstall registry cleans.

If your not using an optimizer consider downloading (for free) Auslogics Disk Defrag. It's very easy to use, read instructional document first.

Optimize and uninstall product after usage.

Good luck and best wishes.

Quoting smile357:

My friend and you would get along great. Her passion is for computers. She built this one for us. She's always told me that she has a hard time finding good IT people. You really helped thank you.

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting smile357:

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting smile357:

Quoting rosebud727:

Depends on the OS. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)