Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

dog owners what to do with a jumper?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 179 Total Views
1 mom liked this

ok so my dog we found out today is a jumper. we never had a fenced yard till my last house which had a 6 ft fence. this has a 3 ft fence. it is not fully closed yet so we still tie her out on a tie out. I noticedthe other day the tie out was around one of the links in the fence. thought maybe one of the adults had done it. come home tonight from the store and found her on the outside of the fence. thank god she was on the tie out. the tie out was wrapped around a nother link in the fence. so apperently she jumped it. it wasn't through the bottom or a corner like she crawled out. she had to have jumped.

the only other jumper I had we had to run a hot wire to break her. we had one escape artist we had to have a kennel for and put fence over the top to keep her from climbing. and then it had to be on concrete to keep from digging. then she finally figured out how to jimmy the handle on the kennel. so we had to lock it. but I tried the tire with one dog and it did not work. so any new ideas I haven't tried?

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM

BUMP!

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM

BUMP!

Ferne
by Silver sister on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Sorry I have nothing..we had a dog that constantly jumped a 4 foot fence. So Hubby put up another 2 feet of wire and he still jumped that.  We then had to keep him on a long chain and out of reach of the fence.  I hate chaining a dog but he was left with us by my son and would try to kill any small dog that he saw.

They have those electric collars with the underground fences that suppossedly the dog wont cross.  You might try something like that but they are pretty expensive.

Pink.Frosting
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Honestly a jumper is better than a runner!  I've had two jumpers and nothing but old age and/or injury broke them.  (One of my jumpers is old and fat now and the other one got hit by a car and hasn't jumped since.) Sorry.  :-(  You just have to stay always vigilent that they don't do things they're not supposed to do.  Believe me, I know it's not easy.  But it will get better as she ages.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Not sure but BECAREFUL.... my sister had a dog accidentally hang himself because he jumped and the end of the rope got caught.  it was a horrible way to find him.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Could you get an invisible fence? I hear they work good, but somewhat pricey! Good luck~!

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Quoting Ferne:

Sorry I have nothing..we had a dog that constantly jumped a 4 foot fence. So Hubby put up another 2 feet of wire and he still jumped that.  We then had to keep him on a long chain and out of reach of the fence.  I hate chaining a dog but he was left with us by my son and would try to kill any small dog that he saw.

They have those electric collars with the underground fences that suppossedly the dog wont cross.  You might try something like that but they are pretty expensive.

that or a hot wire is the only thing I can think of.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with Maria, an invisible fence just inside your fence to keep him away.

Quoting Mariagma3:

Could you get an invisible fence? I hear they work good, but somewhat pricey! Good luck~!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM

hugs, we have a runner dear lord..I don't know what we'd do if she was both...  the wire/invisible thing sound like the best thing?

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM

My dad bought the invisible fence/collar thing and it has worked really well to keep his dogs on his property and out of the road.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)