Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

was the school out of line?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM
  • 49 Replies
  • 986 Total Views

The assistant principal made my 15 y/o take the his boat shoes (nice Sperry Top-Siders) off, because she said that they were in violation of the school's dress code. Hacving not wore socks with them, so he had to spend the rest of the day, actually barefoot. His feet were clean *before* they took his shoes, but he was later embarrassed over some of the other kids laughing about how dirty the bottom of his feet were (his soles were black) as a result of having to go barefoot. Some other boys would not quit grabbing his feet and holding them up to show everyone how dirty his soles were, and saying that he had "girl feet." I didn't even know that the shoes were against the dress code or that he had been in trouble for wearing them before, until I called the school. My sister said she would be really upset about it, and thinks I should be too. They assigned him detention, but I was glad that was all. Is this something I should be upset about? Am I not showing support for my son if I don't?

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diane-b
by Silver sister on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be upset with it .... They should have let him call you bring another pair of shoes to him ... He could have hurt his feet .... I consider that a safety issue...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM
I'd be upset that they didn't call me to bring him another pair of shoes they could have made him sit in the office the rest of the day. I'd have a real issue about him being barefoot!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redlady125
by Silver sister on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I would be upset why didn't someone call u and tell u what was going on with ur son.I no his feelings was hurt why did they do that and you as his mother need to go and get some answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiger_74
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM

he didn't cut his foot, or anything, but some of the other boys grabbed his feet and held them up to show that he was barefoot and how black the bottom of his feet were.

manilowgal
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM
I'm assuming he had to go to the bathroom bare footed as well. That whole situation is wrong in my opinion.
However, your son should be punished (detention) since he knew those shoes were against the rules.

Quoting tiger_74:

he didn't cut his foot, or anything, but some of the other boys grabbed his feet and held them up to show that he was barefoot and how black the bottom of his feet were.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiger_74
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you're right about him having the bathroom barefoot. And with the other boys' antics of showing off his feet, I think that would have been more of a distraction than his boat shoes

Quoting manilowgal:

I'm assuming he had to go to the bathroom bare footed as well. That whole situation is wrong in my opinion.
However, your son should be punished (detention) since he knew those shoes were against the rules.

Quoting tiger_74:

mamakin616
by Sister on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call the school and talk to someone about this as it is a health and safety issue ,but also you said your son had been in trouble for it before,so He knew it was wrong and that they would give him some type of consequence ,I would make the school aware that I am not in favor of my child breaking rules at all,but that I expect to be notified when the  first issue ,not the second issue occurs to prevent things such as this from happening.Then I would have to give my child some type of a consequence ,because if He had not broken the rules for the second time ,it would not have happened.If you blame this all on the school ,He will think the rules do not apply to him.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If they were water shoes, I can see why there not allowed at school. I'd be more irritated that my son should have known better, and wash his feet!

tiger_74
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

they were leather sperry top siders. AND his feet WERE CLEAN BEFORE they made him go barefoot.

If they were water shoes, I can see why there not allowed at school. I'd be more irritated that my son should have known better, and wash his feet!

Melindakc
by Sister on Sep. 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

How are those in violation of a dress code????  If anything they make a kid look nice..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN