• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to school- AGAIN

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM
  • 20 Replies
  • 487 Total Views
2 moms liked this

I am 47 yo and have been contemplating going to cosmetology school for quite some time now. I went yesterday to speak with a enrollment advisor met lots of people - took an admittance test ( score was really high ) was very excited about the whole thing UNTIL we spoke about the financing part. I already did the research and knew it is quite expensive 19,000 to be exact. I had already discussed this with my husband before going except for the price- now we have seperate bank accounts and pay our own seperate bills I pay all utilities my credit cards my medical bills car note all of my clothes cosmetics everything as such- he pays rent his auto loan auto insurance for both of us and medical insurance for both ( he makes a lot more than I do but says he is always broke and overdraws his account with extra fees ) I do not have access to his account so I have no idea what he has or not. I cannot get a grant because he makes too much money. But I can get a student loan when the school checked but it will cover all but almost 6,000. in which I would have to take out an additional personal loan for. I kinda thought against this because it is so expensive anyway and I would be paying on 2 loans. But I though I would call him and see what he says - I would have had to have him cosighn this extra loan. He pretty much refused in so many words. He keeps saying I should wait until something else comes along- but all those schools are in about the same price range and I am not getting any younger and like I said I pay my own bills. So there are other cosmetology schools that would fit in with my work schedule. The other one is 3,000 cheaper and just as close to home - so behind his back I went on line and applied for a fed govenment student loan that this school accepts and was approved for it. These loans aren't due back until you finish and payments are pretty reasonable- My question is should I just go for it or should I listen to him . If I wait any longer I probably won't do it. I have been waiting tables for 25 years now and am in alot of pain all the time my back has a cyst on my spine and I also have an annulus tear which fluid is leaking out on my nerves . I am afraid if I keep going I may not be able to work at all . HELP I need advice !!!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wow, good for you for wanting to go back to school. Seems like you did your homework on this. Personally, though, I wouldn't go behind his back. Why not just sit him down and explain that this is something that you really want to do and that you've done it.

pugmamaw
by Sister on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I will, it will take time to get the courage up. Not that he is mean or anything just after what he said yeaterday he seems really against it for some reason. Maybe because his daughter and ex wife never completed anything LOL

BL2010
by BL on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

lol.. Could be.. But may I ask why you need to build up the courage? It's your life and money from the sound of things. I see nothing wrong with trying to better yourself, especially if it's something that you've always wanted to do.

Quoting pugmamaw:

I will, it will take time to get the courage up. Not that he is mean or anything just after what he said yeaterday he seems really against it for some reason. Maybe because his daughter and ex wife never completed anything LOL

hemlockprimrose
by Sister on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

WOW !!! seperate accounts... But I am sure alot of couples do that.. But I wouldn't go behind his back... I think that is really expencive for cosmetology school.. when there seem to be so many cosmetoligist out there.. I guess I got luck I am a CMA /CNA and also insulin certified.. and all my classes were paid for through work and any job that I have applied for I have always been offered.. 

And you say you wait tables and are in alot of pain my your back ... Once you are done with school and do get a job.. you will be on your feet alot... and again that is alot of money.. I wish you all the best in your decision.. GOOD LUCK!! 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
I am 49 and in graduate school and love it. I say follow your dreams and allow them to become a reality. That sounds pretty high for cosmetology and hoping that includes everything.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fnlyhappy65
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm 47 and working full time and in college full time.  Mine is all student loans but I don't have to answer to a husband.  I wouldn't go behind his back but at least with this new school you aren't asking him to sign on anything.  Will you be able to continue to work while attending the school? 

Follow your dream, you only live once!

wildlilacs
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Check out the job market for cosmotology, are there plenty of job openings? Sure schools say they will help but all the do is hand you leads from internet sites.
Have you looked into being an estetition(sp). They do skin care and some are employed by spas for facials and massage.
Do you have a comunity college? Check into their programs, the continueing education dept. CC is usally cheaper.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pugmamaw
by Sister on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I know - and may I add I hate my current job I have worked there for 16 years January it is a family owned and OPERATED restaurant and if you are not a family member you get treated like CRAP !! So I have really had this on my mind for a long time and this is my 3rd marriage I don't want IT to fail too LOL but I have been there and done that so I hate to say it but it is what it is- RIGHT . But he way he kept going on and on about how expensive it is and how the economy is and what if he loses his job or GOD forbid I lose mine. I really don't know what he is talking about when he said if I apply for a loan that it is his credit too. I am well aware of how it works but it didn't work for me like that the past 2 divorces I actually was stuck with ALL the credit card bills and they got the house I sunk my hard earned money into and I swear that is the truth. I just walked away twice instead of fighting over it and both exes lost both houses HMM wonder who was paying all those bills >>> I really don't care what he says about this but on the other hand what if he is right ? Just saying the economy is bad but I figure that when I finish I can still wait tables at night till I get my loan paid- I have a plan to go into business for myself . I want to just go to peoples homes and do their hair for them such as retirement homes and such heck I wish someone would come to my house and do my hair while I drink coffee and stay in my night gown LOL what do ya think ??

pugmamaw
by Sister on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

It is, I thought the same thing- but the cheapest one is at the jr college it is about 7,000 also I would have to drive an hour there and back every day so I figured I would spend the excess in gas and auto repair cuz my car is an '06 I am at wits end and sick of my job been there 16 years at the same resaurant and get treated like crap it is family owned and if you ain't family you are a turd!!!

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze sister on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

If this is what you want to do, then I say go for it. I am 44 and will be starting classes in January through our community college (getting some certificates to update my degree so that I can get a better job, then head to grad school). I firmly believe that getting an education is never a waste of time & you are never too old to learn.

The only qualm I have about your situation is that the tuition sounds really expensive, even at the cheaper school. Do you have a community college nearby? If so, I would see if they offer a cosmetology program (ours does), as it would be much cheaper. I'm not sure what you mean by "going behind [your] husband's back" because, honestly, if you are going to be covering your education costs yourself, then you don't need his permission to apply for loans or register for classes, you just need to inform him that you did it so that he knows why you aren't home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)