Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone remember life without Cell Phones!

Posted by   + Show Post

I do!  People had to wait to bother you, they couldn't just call you when you were out driving or doing something like shopping. 

Hey I agree it's a comfort to have a phone with you when your driving or out somewhere.  However, often I feel it's a pain in the ass, to have to answer text messages or calls when I am busy doing grocery shopping or whatever! 

Now when someone wants to get in touch, ya don't have excuses to ignore them, ugh!

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
smile357
by Linda on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally like vibrate....I have been turning off electronics lately. I remember a life before them just fine.

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Me too, going to be 53 in February!

Quoting mango44:

well I'm 49 so I remember most of my life without the gadget!!! lol

bhow
by Bronze sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I leave my phone in my truck when I go into stores and 99.9% of the time I have no calls/messages when I get back.  We do not have cell service at our house and don't care to.  AND I rarely ever get calls that I would miss not getting.  I NEVER carry it when I am with my husband, and guess what?  No calls for me.  So yes, I do remember that time of my life and do more than most to hang on to it.

mango44
by Sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL wouldn't you know after I posted this I lost my cell, found it in my coat pocket where I had put it when I went to get the mail.  Hell, and wouldn't you know there where two text messages from my SO.  Cause I didn't answer pronto, he calls the house phone!  "Are you ok?"  LOL god just cause I didn't answer a text doesn't mean I'm lying on the floor bleeding to death!!!

Shari55
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yes I remember and when I don't want to be bothered I put the volume to silent and make sure it is at the bottom of my bag.

Life was somewhat easier with out all of these gadgets, but I am so glad to have a cellphone when I am out.

Shari, Daughter of Christ, teacher of our little ones whom we are entrusted withteacher

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this
LOL, I remember dial phones and party lines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I do remember and miss those days. We are so connected we do not have any peace.

RubyQ
by Gold sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember when it was big deal that we got a wall phone, with push buttons instead of a dial, LOL! And the fact that the cord was extra long was a big deal too. ...then it got strtched out and could touch the floor....

I learned a good lesson  one day, that has stuck with me. My Mom had taken me with her to a friend's house for a visit. They were deep into some esoteric conversation when the phone (the dial kind--and those were loud!) rang. And rang. And rang. And rang....

Finally, I looked at them from where I sat in the other room. She wasn't even budging! This was absolutely unheard of to a Pavlovian child like myself, where a ringing phone meant you were to instantly spring into action, and, at breakneck speed, blindly leap over any furniture or, in your haste, lay waste  to any obstacles, usually lamps, that might prevent you from finding out who it was that was calling. For some reason, I felt it necessary to approach the table and find out if she really couldn't hear the phone ringing. There was absolutely no other possible explanation for her staying put! 

I waited for a break in the conversation. When it came, I nervously mumbled, "Um, are you going to answer your phone?" I couldn't keep a little of the disbelief out of my voice. One or two seconds passed. She looked me straight in the eye and replied, calmly ,but firmly, "No. I am having a conversation with your Mother right now."

Wow. She didn't even find out it who it was! Crazy! (This was before answering machines, too!)

Of course I didn't realize the import of what she said until some time later in life, but it stayed tucked away until I needed it!

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

yep I remember... I have a cell but it's a tracphone so I don't do conversations on it unless it's very important.  I do use it to text tho occasionally.  Mostly it's a way to keep in touch with my dh when I'm out/about ...

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I know what you mean. But anyone who knows me knows that I will get back to them ASAP. For me, it doesn't always mean right then. I just don't allow myself to be tied to it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)