Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Does anyone remember life without Cell Phones!

Posted by   + Show Post

I do!  People had to wait to bother you, they couldn't just call you when you were out driving or doing something like shopping. 

Hey I agree it's a comfort to have a phone with you when your driving or out somewhere.  However, often I feel it's a pain in the ass, to have to answer text messages or calls when I am busy doing grocery shopping or whatever! 

Now when someone wants to get in touch, ya don't have excuses to ignore them, ugh!

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
manilowgal
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Do you remember having to go thru the operator? Our # was 228. My best friend's was 335. My aunt would call and the line would be buzy for hours so she would tell the operator to " break in". The operator would come on the line saying there was an emergency. Then my aunt would lecture us about keeping the phone line tied up. LOL!!
mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I remember the good ole days when you were out driving and you saw ppl paying attention to the roads and not with a phone glued to their ears! Or have ppl behind you in line at the store and they are talking to someone not there ( or while they are shopping ( who is so important that you have to call when shopping discuss your life rather loadly then look at me rudely when you run into me with your cart) and ppl can find you any where! uggh! The only time i use my phone when out is when i need to call AAA or if my ds s school needs to get ahold of me
hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Yes and kicked myself many times for forgetting things lol

wenuck
by Moonshine on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I remember! Used lots of pay phones haha!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BL2010
by BL on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Yup, I remember and those were the good old days!

almostthere55
by Sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I remember the party lines too!  I totally forgot about that.  I was pretty young, but I remember picking up the phone and hearing our neighbors talking.  Wow could you imagine it now?  lol

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I remember. I even remember both of my grandmothers were on party phone lines at their houses. If it rang once you let it be, rang twice you answered. We used to pick it up and listen in on the neighbors when we were kids :) ahhh, and 8 Tracks. I remember those well. Of course my parents only had country songs.

I still like being undisturbed while shopping or driving and put my phone on silent while doing both. I check it between stores or before starting the car, but then back in my purse it goes. People can wait.

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM
OMG! We had an 8 track boombox! We were so cool!

Quoting firelites:

do CB radios and an 8track player count?  Yes I remember even before that :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
It would be crazy now! People would be suing everyone claiming they invaded their privacy!
I grew up in very rural NH. I know one grandmother had a prty line clear through while I was in grade school. Nana saved her phone and my husband loved it when he found it in a box, he cleaned it up and displays it in our living room :)

Quoting almostthere55:

I remember the party lines too!  I totally forgot about that.  I was pretty young, but I remember picking up the phone and hearing our neighbors talking.  Wow could you imagine it now?  lol

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I remember. I even remember both of my grandmothers were on party phone lines at their houses. If it rang once you let it be, rang twice you answered. We used to pick it up and listen in on the neighbors when we were kids :) ahhh, and 8 Tracks. I remember those well. Of course my parents only had country songs.

I still like being undisturbed while shopping or driving and put my phone on silent while doing both. I check it between stores or before starting the car, but then back in my purse it goes. People can wait.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valleymomma1
by Bronze sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Yes I sure do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BUTTERFLIES39
by Sister on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Yes I do remember life without cells.  I also remember pagers.  LOL  I truly hated my pagers because you had to look for a payphone to call back whomever called.  I much rather the cell. Im a texter so I rather get a text msg as oppose to a phone call.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)