Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Feeling guilty about cosmetic surgery!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 280 Total Views

I'm getting boobs next week and now that it's all paid for and scheduled I'm feeling terrified, selfish, guilty, etc. This is something I've always been self conscious about but now that I'm taking the step I feel like it's silly and selfish and I can't stop dwelling on all the reasons I shouldn't be doing it. This time three years ago I didn't care if I lived or died and now I'm happily remarried and  freaking out that something might go wrong. I know women do this every day and probably a lot more have them done than I realize. It's very personal so I haven't told but a couple of people so I can't vent my feelings too much. Also, I've never had a surgery so don't know how I will really do. I can't even pray about it because I feel like it is a sin of vanity to be doing it in the first place. When I got all excited about going through with it I didn't even think about my religious beliefs and how this fit in. Then this morning I thought, well I wear makeup, dye my hair, and buy pretty clothes so why should I feel differently about this, it's not to show off. Oh, the conflict, oh well, just wanted to vent a little for the nerves!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Oh hun, I don't think it's vain, if it gives you the self confidence you need.  ((hugs)) keep us posted.

jlsjjsmom
by Sister on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I had implants 21 years ago this month. I was (and still am) married and already had my two boys so it wasn't like I got them to try to attract guys. It was to make me feel better about myself. I was very flat chested, even after having kids. Not even an A cup. Since there was *ahem* so little to work with they were only able to get me to a small B cup but I felt so much better about myself and my clothes fit better. I, too, am a person of faith (Christian) and I don't think it's a sin to want to feel good about yourself and feel attractive to your spouse. That was also the first surgery I'd ever had and I did fine. No sickness from the anesthesia, etc. Of course I was tender for several days and couldn't lift anything for a couple week (even my then-10 month old). I believe I had the procedure done on a Wednesday and was back to work the following Monday. Back then they had you wear a big harness-like bra 24 hours a day for a certain period of time although things are probably different now.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

LFosterfarm
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I agree with the other moms. If this is what you really wanted to do them by ask means do it! If it helps your self asteme and and gives you that little boost in confidence you should do it. I don't think religion/faith has anything to do with it. It's all about how you feel about yourself inside and out! Keep us posted and will pray for a speedy recovery!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brooklynchic
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

i agree with these ladies too.....go for it momma..if it makes you feel good, i say knock yourself out...   i want to see before and after pics...lol...good luck sweety  keep us posted!!!!

JKronrod
by Sister on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Amen to the other commenters.  And, if it makes you feel better, I'll tell you what my surgeon told me (I had a tummy tuck -- 6 pregnancies and 4 kids -- two of the kids after 40 don't do anything good to your tummy) when I arrived at the clinic. 

"Well," he said, "the most dangerous part of the procedure is over." 

"Huh?" I said.

"You survived driving on the freeway to get here," he said. 

And, of course, he was right.  More people likely die on the freeway than in this type of surgery.  Good luck, and enjoy your new body!

rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM

If this will improve your self esteem and you can afford it then by all means do it. As long as you know it will not change your life just help you fit better in the clothes you love. Enjoy.

cuteoverload
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Cool

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM

hugs and lots of great of advice here...

Tracylynn100
by Sister on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I had implants and a tummy tuck about 6 years ago and I have not been for one moment sorry.  Everything looks better and was wonderful.  I cannot tell you much about recovery because the tummy tuck took awhile.  I told my husband it cost less than the camper and we would use it more.  Best of luck and enjoy.

sunflowers12
by Silver sister on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Oh, I think your just freakin out a bit due to nerves n stuff.. its paid for just go for it !! I know I felt a bit nervous when I had my tubes tide cause you always here about how things go wrong.. but you don't here about all the ppl that are happy with there surgies.. just think about the good stuff try not to worry your self so much:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)