Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Ready to ban Dr. Oz

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

As you all know my dh has been a real pill as of late (he gets this way around his bday and that just so happens to be around the holidays, such joy) and i have been trying to hold it together (many thanks to you all for your your help in this)! so we were watching Dr. Oz a few weeks ago and Dr. William Davis was on with his wheat belly book( where you should ban wheat fro your diet (so your belly goes bye) not sure the good dr. is married but the wife my go bye also ! DH does have a what we ladies call a muffin top, but he eats way more veggies and fruit then anyone else here! i think you lose that not by taking out a whole food of your diet (except if allergic or illness which isn't the case here) and we went through this with dhs hives( we got rid of nightshade foods, it was hell on earth to cook and worry about cross contamination i made my own ketchup, no potatoes so we had mashed cauliflower etc and couldn't go out to eat and it didn't help his hives any) i think if you do a food elimination like this it pretty much has to be a whole house thing ( and i know we could eat healthier, but i think this is a little over the top) as im not a short order cook, we eat dinner every night at the table as a family! but i think this is a bit extreme ( to eliminate wheat out of your diet I'm all for eating more fruits and veggies, going leaner on meats and less sugar and more exercise) this just seems to be going overboard? besides when i watch dr oz i start to worry i have all these illnesses he is talking about ( no i just got checked out and just have worry wart idize ) what do you cm moms thinkof this? thank you, hugs i say eat that cookie! loleating

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Dr. Oz is like a magazine, he has different ideas about diet, exercise and health remedies to appeal to as many people as possible. If he only toted on idea then he would be a informercial, right? lol

Think of it like shopping at the store, select what works best for you and leave the rest on the shelves.

rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

The official stance on this is that wheat provides many healthy nutrients and valuable fiber. The only reason to eliminate wheat would be for celiac disease or wheat allergy. Any diet that eliminates a total food is suspect.

manilowgal
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I have a friend that did that. They are both alergic to some degree to wheat. The way they cook now amazes me. Too much trouble in my book but they say they feel better. They keep trying to get us to do it and see how we feel. Well I'm not a cook and there is no way I'm going to all that trouble.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LFosterfarm
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I very rarely watch the dr just because it seems every show I have watched, it's how to loose wieght this how to loose weight that, and there's just to many to keep up with.  and you know most of these people don't go to their doctor to checked out for any of these symptoms.  they simply take it upon themselves to try this or that.  I wonder how many people have actually tried doing the many different diets from his show!  talk about yo yo dieting!

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I used to think Dr. Oz was the educated dr for the masses, but since he's started endorsing diet products like raspberry ketones and green coffee I realize  he's like every other tv quack who's in it for the money.

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

One of the issues with wheat is the way we process EVERYTHING....So whole grains, less processed wheat products ARE better for and your body can digest them better (unless you have celiac or other sensitivities).  My husband went gluten free several years ago but it didnt' do much for him, so he has a modified version.   Plus he is a homebrewere and gluten free beer is not so good.  Anyway, he doesn't do bread, but he can have pasta (limited) and other grains, but we generally do a healthy grain replacement.  Brown rice, quinoa, and potatoes are ok...His digestive system is better when he doesn't do regular bread and when he has too much he (and I because he complains) pays for it with an upset tummy and some digestive issues...but we've adapted and he chooses to 'drink' his gluten!  :)

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
BL2010
by BL on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I would never get rid of a whole food group like that. You know, as we get older it's harder to lose the weight no matter what we do. What people need to do is eat more sensible and exercise. It's not just a matter of eat this, take this pill, etc...

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't watch the "doctors" on tv to me they are only there for the ratings/$$.  If I need advice I'll talk to my doctor or a nutritionist..

shadenn766
by Platinum sister on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM

or i'll look it up myself...i agree star

Quoting starlight1968:

I don't watch the "doctors" on tv to me they are only there for the ratings/$$.  If I need advice I'll talk to my doctor or a nutritionist..

Bax
by Sister on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I am on a diet plan, a life change in eating habits.  I am also the person in the house who does most of the cooking.  I can guarantee you that if you asked my husband and daughter if they were eating any differently over the past few weeks both would say no way.  They don't know that when I made chicken divine the other night that I skipped the breading and frying step and baked it instead or that I also used fat free cheese.  Neither figured out that the mash potatoes I made the other night had fat free sour cream added instead of butter and milk.  Since neither of them needs to lose weight their portion size hasn't changed but I refuse to make separate meals. 

If he wants no wheat in his diet I would tell him that he is now in charge of his own meals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)